Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
This is so much a problem, but more of a 'what the... ?' I'd like to share

My Gaming rig is getting a bit old now. I'm Running:

i7 2600K
Z68 Chispest
12 GB of RAM
GTX 780Ti

So, to the point, In GeForce Experience it tells me my PC is not VR ready because of the GTX780Ti, as well know, nVidia recommend at least a GTX970. I also downloaded the Oculus Rift tool which checks your PC specs and reports back which components do or don't meet the minimum requirements to run their headset. Now in this tool, the GTX780Ti is reported as being fine, but the i7-2600k is reported as falling short of the mark.

I'm beginning to think part of the VR push is half as much about about driving sales in related hardware as it is a sales pitch for the new VR gear.

Screen shot here: http://imgur.com/TYhUkzB

(GeForce Experience left, Oculus Rift tool on the right)

Solution

Hlsgsz

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016

All these "ready" stuff should be takes with a grain of salt. I assure you that it's not that CPU that will hold you backs, especially if you overclock it.
And while the 970 is listed as being ok, i highly doubt that it will provide a satisfactory experience.
The only cards that are to be expected to be truly "ready" for VR are the new ones coming out that were designed with that in mind.

Coup77

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013

I totally Agree, and I plan on Building a new rig later this year. The new GTX10xx series will be quite an upgrade for me and it's probably about time I did a Mobo / CPU upgrade as well. I already run the 2600k @ 4GHz, but my son is in need of a PC upgrade also so I think I'll pass that on to him for a while :)

Hlsgsz

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016

Cool. For VR, i would get nothing less than the 1080 or even wait for a theoretical 1080Ti. Regardless, this all remains to be seen. I wouldn't go teh early adopter route on VR to be honest.

Solution