Solved! VR Xmas Gift

Nov 20, 2018
Hi guys, totally useless with computers but I have an Acer aspire E 17 laptop I got to use Ableton DAW on for fun. My son would love Oculus rift VR and a couple of games for Xmas, could my laptop handle this with a view to getting him a proper gaming laptop for his bday a few months after Xmas. My laptop spec is as follows.

Intel core I5-4210 u 1.7GHz with boost up to 2.7GHz

Intel HD graphics 4400

8GB DDR3 L Memory

8GB SSD+ 1000 GB Hybrid HDD

The above means nothing to me, I just like pressing all the buttons, thanks in advance Jim.

Solution
Hi Jim! Nice Dad wanting to get his son an Oculus!
No that laptop will not run Oculus. There are minimum specs that need to be met and the Oculus needs at least an i3-6100 and an Nvidia 960 or equivalent graphics card. So how do you compare? Well I look up the components on Passmark.com and compare.

So the Intel HD graphics 4400 scored 567
The Nvidia 960 scored 5805

The i5-4210u scored 3401
The i3-6100 scored 5489

So you can see you are well below minimum on the graphics and also quite a bit below on the processor.
Have you looked into the Oculus GO? It is a $200 self contained unit. Probably not nearly as good but might be a great starter for someone who has not owned a VR set before.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Hi Jim! Nice Dad wanting to get his son an Oculus!
No that laptop will not run Oculus. There are minimum specs that need to be met and the Oculus needs at least an i3-6100 and an Nvidia 960 or equivalent graphics card. So how do you compare? Well I look up the components on Passmark.com and compare.

So the Intel HD graphics 4400 scored 567
The Nvidia 960 scored 5805

The i5-4210u scored 3401
The i3-6100 scored 5489

So you can see you are well below minimum on the graphics and also quite a bit below on the processor.
Have you looked into the Oculus GO? It is a $200 self contained unit. Probably not nearly as good but might be a great starter for someone who has not owned a VR set before.

Solution