Mixing multiple sources

sauntimo

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Hi there, I'm new here (groan) so sorry if I mess this up.

I'm trying to find a piece of kit, preferably a small scale mixer that will allow me to connect the following 'ins' and 'outs'

Ins
* 7.1 out of my Creative X-Fi Elite Pro in my PC
* Optical (is that a toslink?) - or failing that stereo - from my xbox 360

Outs
* Creative S750 7.1 system of awesomeness
*Hifi Speakers (via a line in to HiFi)

At the moment the PC goes straight to the S750 and the xbox stereo goes to the HiFi, but I'd really like to be able to have surround sound when I'm playing - it also seems a bit of shame to have two entirely separate speaker systems in one room. Extra inputs and outputs would be a plus for future extensibility. The X-Fi Elite Pro has an i/o panel which is neat, but I've not managed to hook the xbox up to it successfully.

Is this possible? Would really appreciate any pointers. Thanks for your time!

Well yeah, a 2X2 stereo mixer has 2 separate stereo inputs (4 mono inputs w/ balance controls) and two separate stereo outputs (4 mono outputs with balance controls), and a monitor out (hooks to your amp) what you need is a small studio mixer like a Rane, Teac, Mackie, etc...there are several that would work in that application...figure out how much you want to spend. Even some DJ mixers might work for that application. Well...optical inputs will for sure cost more $$$. The only reason for optical inputs would be super high quality mastering....might want to skip the optical and just use analog inputs on a budget.

sauntimo

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

ah, but if I use a stereo mixer, surely I'll only get stereo? Wouldn't I lost all of the other 6 channels to make my beautiful 7.1?

sounds like you need 12X8 monitor mixer, they use them for mixing stage monitors in live sound systems, each input assignable to one of 8 outputs or stereo 2 channel monitor amp output, headphone out