Miyamoto: Next Console Will Be Compact

Status
Not open for further replies.

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
"Compact" = another underpowered Nintendo Console. Since when has the size of a console stopped sales? If the design is right then any size will sell. And who has been complaining about the Wii being too big?

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
any more support for consoles might spell disaster for the pc hardware manufactureres.. heres why:

By supporting consoles, Nvidia & ati might have gotten sales in the short term. However in the long term it has been a lack of sales for both of them.

Consoles sales even putting the xbox 360 and ps3 together do not exceed 60million. which imo is not much of an ammount for these 2 companies.

what has happened now is that the focus of developers has shifted to the consoles. which is why jumps in graphics have become stagnant now. the result in this is that even pc users dont need constant upgrades like the way they used to which means less sales from the pc market for nvidia and ati.

Also as a note previously a pc user would need to make a switch in about 2 years to stay uptodate with the latest games, now since its developed with consoles in minds the cycle has become 7 years. So previously if a pc user needed to upgrade once in 2 years its only going to be 1 in 7yrs now, there simply wont be games out to take advantage of hardware.

also the console market ati and nvidia thought to cater too is in the same situation. a console user will simply buy 1 console then make no hardware purchase for the rest of the generation unless the console fails.

imo going for console sales might have given a sale in the short term butfor the long term its been bad for all the pc hardware makers be it cpu, gpu, ram, chipsets etc. as time goes on this will get worse specially if another console gen is supported.

G

Tom's Hardware: you guys really suck at news lately. That quote has nothing to do with the next console, but the controller interface. Re-read the original quote and try again...and drop the sensationalist heading garbage.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
@kashifme21 - yeap they make games for the lowest console and the PC suffers. the graphics are not up to scratch and the controls are made for consoles and a TV 5 feet away.

DRM keeps me away from PC games so I don't think I'll need to up date it again.

juliom

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]ex-reader[/nom]Tom's Hardware: you guys really suck at news lately. That quote has nothing to do with the next console, but the controller interface. Re-read the original quote and try again...and drop the sensationalist heading garbage.[/citation]

Agree on that.

endif

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
They should give the new Wii DVR capabilities. That would give the console the edge they are looking for. Go for the home theatre aspect.

caeden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
@kashifme21: I think I disagree. I have been out of the game world for a few years now, and am just beginning to get back into it, and it would seem that you are wrong about the hardware. In the gaming industry there have always been seemingly giant leaps and giant slumps in graphical quality of games. And with every generation of games there is a bigger and bigger leap between the minimum and maximum requirements for any particular game. The near ultimate example of this is Unreal tourniment. Every game has been highly scaleable, and even UT3 I have gotten to play on a 6 year old machine with a g6600 (it looked truely terrible, but it did run). At the same time I don't have any hardware that could max it out either. And look at crysis. To max that game out you still need more than one graphics card running in your system, and yet it will play well enough on a 'basic' game rig. The problem isnt the consoles, the problem is that we are on the brink of annother jump in graphics. The software people have maxed out the hardware, and now the hardware companies are adapting to new code. When the new technology hits the fan then the software people will push the hardware to the limit again, and the cycle continues. It is a 3-4 year cycle, and has been that way from the beginning.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
[citation][nom]ex-reader[/nom]Tom's Hardware: you guys really suck at news lately. That quote has nothing to do with the next console, but the controller interface. Re-read the original quote and try again...and drop the sensationalist heading garbage.[/citation]

How about you re-read what was said, you damned idiot.

But when asked about the future of Nintendo's hardware, he said the company wants to make it even more accessible than the current Wii. "What I can say is that, my guess is that because we found this interface to be so interesting, I think it would be likely that we would try to make that same functionality perhaps more compact and perhaps even more cost-efficient."

The guy was specifically asked about the hardware. Do you understand what the word "hardware" means? Huh? Do you? How about you just go away for good.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
More compact? Haha I love it.

The Wii is already like 1/4 the side of the PS3 slim (and 360), how much smaller can they go with their current disc media? Its not much bigger than an external DVD drive already.

They'd have to move to a GC sized disc, but that would make it incompatible with current Wii discs. I suppose they could make it a bit thinner.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Wow as if it was too big... I mean I could see if it was the size of the original Xbox but come on... The thing is thinner than 3 dvd cases.

Wii 2 needs better graphics. A controller that the accessories don't fly off and break your TV and that has the motion plus accessory built in.

captmorganarr

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Me personally, i would love to be able to turn on my lights from across the room with a wave of my hand, turn up the oven temp with a flick of my wrist, and never have to look for the remote again.

snarfeck

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
my wii looks like an anorexic midget compared to my original xbox sitting next to it. in fact i think the xbox was trying to eat the damn thing just last night. i had to fight it off using my wiimote and nunchuck.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Hey, maybe they'll come up with new interfaces. How about a Wii chair, so you can sit down and play the games with you butt cheeks comfortably? Or a Wii body suit (with special, um, "joystick" attachment) so you can feel total immersion? Or how about the Wii anime colored wig with huge eyes attachments. Then we can all go to a convention together ...

Status
Not open for further replies.