Miyamoto: The Next Wii Will NOT be 3D-enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'll probably get an 3DTV pretty soon. They aren't that expensive

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Anyone else think that 3D is not worth the noticeable loss of brightness and sensation of becoming cross-eyed?

I'd rather twice the resolution and brightness than the illusion of depth.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
not a surprise, Nintendo has never been on the front of new tech. disks, online multiplayer, HD. they will have 3D when it wont add much cost to their consoles.

tharkis842

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
"However, according to Nintendo’s Miyamoto, 2D fans needn't worry about 3D making its way to the Wii." - I know, it can barely manage 3D on a 2D screen :p. Anyways, whenever i see 120hz or 240hz LED/LCD tvs they already seem to have an element of depth that 60hz tvs don't. I'd rather stick with that then sacrifice the element of realism in games and movies.

mackinator

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
[citation][nom]zachary k[/nom]not a surprise, Nintendo has never been on the front of new tech. disks, online multiplayer, HD. they will have 3D when it wont add much cost to their consoles.[/citation]

thats because nintendo relies on good craftsmanship, so to speak

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
They don't even have consumers really sold on 120-240Hz TVs. The Frame Interpolation used to create missing frames (TV and movies only give you 24-30fps, game consoles maybe 60) makes everything look like you are watching everything with a camcorder. This can make stuff more dramatic or even funny, but a lot of people with these new TVs end up turning it off. I suspect there will be millions of expensive active shutter glasses sitting on shelves collecting dust in people's homes in the future as people bore of 3D and turn that off too.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
The current solutions aren't even worth while. I went to the Sony store and they looked terrible. Good call Nintendo. It is better to put all your resources into making a quality system and game, rather than waste extra manpower on programming/designing 3d games and systems.

kolsky

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Remember when they announced that the Wii will not have HD because HDTVs were not common yet? Bad mistake in the end, everyone has an HDTV. Remember when they announced that the Nintendo __ will not have 3D enabled? History tends to repeat itself. Nintendo is behind and if the PS4 and Xbox ___ will have 3D in innovative ways I never will buy the Nintendo because I rarely play the Wii. The graphics look horrible on a large hdtv.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
They don't even have consumers really sold on 120-240Hz TVs

Wow, do you live in a closet??? The new Flat screens in which you are talking about completely blow away every CRT or tube type TV
screen. 120HZ - 240 HZ is the refresh rate, the larger the screen the higher the refresh rate needs to be to keep up with fast moveing objects. The 120 - 240HZ has nothing to do with color, depth, or viewing angle. Watch a bluray on a new flat screen 120 HZ TV and your jaw will drop with awe.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Nintendo DS - 510.7K
Wii - 422.5K
Xbox 360 - 451.7K
PlayStation 3 - 304.8K
PSP - 121.0K

http://wii.ign.com/articles/110/1106563p1.html

Looks like the Wii sales are fine. The people on toms for the most part probably all have HD tvs, but not everyone else does.

Honestly I don't want 3D for gaming or watching movies. Its cool to go to the movies every once in a while, but not much more than that.

The Wii was never about graphics, or cutting edge technology, but people still buy it.

Hmm... why is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.