Miyamoto: The Next Wii Will NOT be 3D-enabled

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhatfie

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I plan to never buy a 3D TV until they no longer require stupid glasses. I'll stick with my 60" 1080p LCD for now until I see a compelling reason to upgrade other than a gimmick.

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I don't care if the Wii has 3D or not, but it needs to get out of the shitty graphics phase. The one downfall of the Wii is that its graphics are two generations behind, and they could've done a better job while still making the Wii a low cost product. It isn't like people are screaming for 1080 to come from the Wii, but 720 would make a lot of people happy.

toolinthemist

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
3D feels like nothing more than a gimmick and a way for game and movie makers to skip out on actual substance since they think 3d is enough on its own.

G

Maybe the next 12 months if price drop to sub $1000 for 40ish size screen.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]bochica[/nom]I don't care if the Wii has 3D or not, but it needs to get out of the shitty graphics phase. The one downfall of the Wii is that its graphics are two generations behind, and they could've done a better job while still making the Wii a low cost product. It isn't like people are screaming for 1080 to come from the Wii, but 720 would make a lot of people happy.[/citation]

It'd be nice if ANY console could -consistantly- kick out 720p grade graphics.

Nintendo seems to be the only player out there in this game that has figured out that if your gonna use a gimmic make damn sure it doesn't take some little software tweak to make your only selling point a moot one. I personally dislike the whole motion control thing because the outright lack of feedback. I swing a sword, hammer, golf club, gun, or the tongue of a certain shoe wearing dinosaur with the exact same lack of feedback.

I might buy the next gen Wii, but only if things get better in terms of games.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]kolsky[/nom]Remember when they announced that the Wii will not have HD because HDTVs were not common yet? Bad mistake in the end, everyone has an HDTV. Remember when they announced that the Nintendo __ will not have 3D enabled? History tends to repeat itself. Nintendo is behind and if the PS4 and Xbox ___ will have 3D in innovative ways I never will buy the Nintendo because I rarely play the Wii. The graphics look horrible on a large hdtv.[/citation]

funy i only know one person with an hdtv outta of 20-30 people i know . secondly read the article it clearly states most consummers could give two shits lessa bout this 3dtech gamesare already 3d enoughin most consummers eyes. i doubt i will bother with the enxt gen consoels if 3d is their main selling point , and evenif it is jsut an extra , i likely wil never see it because i dont care to spend an extra 1000 on a tv jsut for a BS niche feature

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Toolinthemist[/nom]3D feels like nothing more than a gimmick and a way for game and movie makers to skip out on actual substance since they think 3d is enough on its own.[/citation]

agreed , thigns should be about content not pretty packaging

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
The few folks that buy a 3DTV will find, like their Wii, that the main thing it does best is collect dust.

3DTV is a major step backwards in terms of picture quality and all round user experience.

wardencl

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
3D is simply a case of rushing and idea to make a buck. Sure, we had a few really good 3D movies but to bring that whole experience home will take at least another 3-5 years....and by that time that handful of 3D movies will be distant memories. I think it's a great concept but it's impossible to cater to a market where perfect vision is certainly not the status quo these days. I'm not buying into anything 3D. I want to see other things innovated and improved upon and for other companies to focus again on quality and not how to make a quick buck of a passing fad.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
How long will it be before I buy a 3d tv? My ancient CRT screen is both above hd resolution and 3d ready refresh rate (160hz). Has been that way for probably 10 years...

I fully intend to try out some nvidia glasses some time to see what the fuss is about.

MrKKBB

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I think this is a good descision for Nintendo, especially after the pediatric community warned about the dangers of 3D TV for young children. Since this is a market that is mostly catered to by Nintendo, this makes perfect sense.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I bought a 3D LED 240Hz Samsung this weekend. It's incredible! Sure it has 3D, and some people hate it, but you can turn it off. When it's off, it's still an incredible TV! I can do all kinds of things like streaming Netflix from the Web, and streaming videos from my laptop in the other room. As for the 240Hz vs. 24 frames a second issue, it seems that inserting these extra frames into a movie makes for and incredibly fluid experience. So much so, that it makes movies look like live video shot from a really good camcorder. Bright and lifelike. It's cool, kinda creepy, and loses some of that "movie magic" when it looks live. Still, you can turn that off too.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I think 3D TV has more of a chance surviving in the long run than Blu-Ray.... I can't wait for Blu-Rays, even with the just announced 3 layer disc, to be extinct and than everyone's Blu-Ray collect will go in the same pile as Beta, MiniDisc, Lazer Disc, SADC, HD-DVD's and ZIP DISKS:)

G

I've been using an iz3d 22" passive 3D monitor for a while now... it's really fun, and works much better than the shutter glasses (no headaches). I can easily see why 3d wouldn't be enabled on the next wii though. The wii can't do do 2d HD yet. To render a game in 3d takes approximately twice the graphics card as it would to render it in 2d. People who want this are looking at a $700 Wii with a cool feature that only a few people would actually be able to use. And to those who say 3d causes headaches, it doesn't. That's the shutter glasses. 3d is actually better for your eyes than 2d, because you aren't focusing on 1 distance for hours on end.

Status
Not open for further replies.