MMS Coming to Nervous AT&T Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Never got a dropped call on my current phone (3GS), and the data transfer speed is not an issue. I think it's the area I live at, few people are using AT&Ts network here. I feel sorry for any New Yorkers/concentrated population cities.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
No, MMS doesnt count as text msg on the cell. Sorry for bringing you the bad news. An MMS has NOTHING at all actually to do with text msg or you would stick with that. And its odd. We have been using MMS in Greece for more than 5 years now I think... The services when it comes to Greece though are very expensive to even just talk on a cell neither there are free days or free nights to call here. Yup, I know it sucks :p

djinfinity

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
so far mms seems to be working for me. ATT sent out a mass text [at approx 13:00 AZ time] stating to sync Iphone then restart it to take advantage of mms. I did that, but then it took over 10 tries to actually get a pix to send without failing. hopefully that was jst the initial overload from lauch though unacceptable, I would understand since everyone probably tried at around the same time. How has others experience been?

djinfinity

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
so far mms seems to be working for me. ATT sent out a mass text [at approx 13:00 AZ time] stating to sync Iphone then restart it to take advantage of mms. I did that, but then it took over 10 tries to actually get a pix to send without failing. hopefully that was jst the initial overload from lauch though unacceptable, I would understand since everyone probably tried at around the same time. How has others experience been?

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
WOW!!!! both cell phones in Greece have mms???? Then obviously AT&T should be able to support 24 million iPhones. I mean obviously there are lots of networks supporting tens of millions of heavy high function cell phones - right? Lets count them...
ZERO!!!!!!

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
By the way - you are referring to SMART phones, correct? You wouldn't be referring to mentally retarded phones - would you? Obviously a squirrel could support traffic from a handful of lame flip phones.
(I sure hope I spelled 'mentally retarded' correctly - where's a spell checker for this board?)
Oh by the way - I certainly do not mean to insult 'mentally challenged' individuals who might be reading my post.
Cheers!

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]AT&T = one big pile of fail.[/citation]
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]AT&T's network is going to come a screeching halt tomorrow. Dozens of articles are reporting their network is far overloaded without MMS. I'm getting the popcorn...this is going to be good. Hello? Hello?... lmao[/citation]
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]MMS...Welcome to 2004[/citation]
[citation][nom]pakardbell486dx2[/nom]I am very sure they will make this into an excuse to charge a lot more on MMS or offer it as an extra data plan on top of your current data plan[/citation]
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]My god I can't believe they still don't MMS.[/citation]
[citation][nom]manos[/nom]No, MMS doesnt count as text msg on the cell. Sorry for bringing you the bad news. An MMS has NOTHING at all actually to do with text msg or you would stick with that. And its odd. We have been using MMS in Greece for more than 5 years now I think... The services when it comes to Greece though are very expensive to even just talk on a cell neither there are free days or free nights to call here. Yup, I know it sucks[/citation]

WOW! ... .. Just wow. Just when I think I've already seen or heard the dumbest things. Wow.

You people should just stop posting the same shit over and over and over. None of you have added anything of value to this topic at all. Just the same old shit that either you or someone you just copied has already posted a hundred times before in other posts.

For most of you dumbasses out there, at&t has supported and made available MMS for over 6 years at least. It was never taken away from their customers, nor has it been suspended temporarily. It has always been there.

For some other dumbasses who apparently can't just go to at&t's website and read for themselves that any type of message (ie picture MMS, video MMS, text MMS, plain text) is covered in their messaging plans. A message is a message and counts as a message. If you have the unlimited plan, then send and receive all of the messages you want. If you have the 200 message plan, then send any combination of the messages you want just keep the total sent and received under 200! Is this clear enough??!!

And for the vast majority of the dumbasses that post on these topics, you seem to be incapable of grasping the numbers that we are talking about here. First off, the iPhone is an APPLE product that is marketed with at&t's network. Apple made the iPhone and didn't have the software working to where they felt like they could get MMS functioning in a manner that they felt would complement their brand. Why this task was so difficult I have no idea, but Apple has its reasons, which has nothing to do directly with at&t. Apple made the decision to leave that feature out and market the phone anyways. Fast-forward to a few months ago and 10 MILLION+ (that's 10,000,000+, maybe even closer to 20,000,000) iPhone users later and Apple says, "Hey guess what??!! We just added support for this MMS thing!!! It's going to be awesome!! Everyone one of you millions of iPhone uses start using it right now!!"

I know i suck at painting pictures so I'll just out right say it. If you were at&t, would you just say, "Sure all you millions of people, who weren't able to do this obviously more network intensive thing before, just start messaging away to your heart’s content." OR, would you do the sensible thing and delay this for a short while to make sure the experience will be one that is remembered as a success, maybe an unmemorable success, but it still better than the alternative.

Does any of this make any sense at all to you people? Sometimes I wonder why more people have not just died from forgetting to breath.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
@thisisme

You wrote that Apple chose not to have MMS on the iPhone because they couldn't get it up to their standards, even though they were able to put a web browser, applications, MP3 and video player, etc on there...

Then you go on to insinuate that we should be grateful to Apple for finally "blessing" us with MMS, never mind that other phones have had the MMS feature for over 5 years (an aeon in the mobile phone world).

As for network intensive? Are you trying to tell us that a company that has a phone that can let users browse the internet, download songs, view youtube videos, etc, would struggle to handle the bandwidth usage of MMS?

Now, let's use your logic. The iPhone must be great simply based on the fact that it has sold 10,000,000+ units.

Having used that logic, we can see that there is no better car than the Toyota Camry, Coca-Cola is the only drink worth drinking and HP make the best computers out there.

Duuno about you, but I like to research my purchases so that I end up with something more than tomorrow's tamagotchi. Besides, how many informed consumers are there out there?

Now, seeing you defend the iPhone and AT&T using an argument with more holes than swiss cheese would lead one to the assumption that you just might be an Apple fanboy.

Come back when you know what you're defending.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
@r0x0r

I can see some people are slower than I imagined. You have proven to be the epitome of those persons which I spoke of earlier.

I never once insinuated anything regarding how grateful anyone should be that Apple finally "blessed" us with MMS. I can only speculate that you may be referring to the obviously fake and SARCASTIC quote that i type? I'm not typing that in all caps and bold to simulation yelling, just trying to make sure it was beyond obvious this time.

Next in your train of thought, is something that made you think that I said because millions of iPhones have been sold that makes it the only phone out there. You’re not even remotely close to the actual statements. I guess the whole point was lost on you. You still don't get the obvious reality behind such events. It's not like normal business, where a cell carrier may accrue a few million customers over a year or two. There is now close to 20,000,000 million more people suddenly, right now, using more bandwidth than before. There are now nearly 20,000,000 more people suddenly using a feature that wasn't being used before. I don't see how you can't understand this. It's like a bridge that was built to support standard average traffic moving at 50mph. Suddenly one day there is a traffic jam. Now there is a line of 10 tour busses, 6 semi loads of bricks, 2 semis loaded with automobiles, 3 school busses, and 4 cement truck parked on the bridge, just sitting there and sometimes creeping ahead slowly. Will the bridge support this? Now imagine if you could hold this situation back for a short time to reinforce the bridge to definitely support the weight. Would you do it, or would you just let it happen and see what comes of it?

Now, I am not an Apple fanboy, I thought the blatant display of sarcasm surrounding the fake quote I typed would make that clear enough, but you have proven that sarcasm is lost on you. Could you be any sadder?

The funniest part of this whole thing is the irony of your last two sentences, but you'll probably never be able to figure enough of this out to see the humor. Try commenting on another's comment after you have gained much higher than a 2nd grade level of reading comprehension. I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to keep you from further embarrassment.

Hope this has helped you better understand the reality of the real world.

rkaye

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
i'd be willing to bet their infrastructure is what they are worried about... the additional strain might break the a lovely person

G

@rkaye

Don't you mean dike? But never mind - you just made my day. LOL!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.