Mobile HQ series: replacement

nomakkk

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
Hi guys, im having doubts about picking a new gaming laptop. One of the questions i have now is about the CPU, as many laptops like ASUS, AORUS, etc, come with i7 xxxxHQ CPU, and i did read they are soldered to de Mother.

So the questions are: is it posible to change the CPU if it burns out or do i have to change the whole mother? why do they do soldered CPUs, whats the advantage?

I am thinking that MQ series should be better to change the CPU if something happend, but the laptops that i like the most comes with HQ series.

Thanks.

Solution
I prefer the i7 MQ series because if the CPU actually dies (very rare) you can replace it yourself if need be.

Since the i7 HQ series are soldered into the motherboard it will be very expensive to replace since either:
#1 - The CPU needs to be de-soldered and a replacement CPU will need to be soldered in.
#2 - The CPU along with the motherboard will be replaced.
I prefer the i7 MQ series because if the CPU actually dies (very rare) you can replace it yourself if need be.

Since the i7 HQ series are soldered into the motherboard it will be very expensive to replace since either:
#1 - The CPU needs to be de-soldered and a replacement CPU will need to be soldered in.
#2 - The CPU along with the motherboard will be replaced.

Solution

nomakkk

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
Ok jaguar, you have the same thought as me. I just dont get yet why would they do soldered CPUs, what advantage would they have over socked ones.

I will check those laptops vembutech!

thank guys

#1 - Reduced cost. Simpler pin design for the CPUs and no need to use a socket.
#2 - Thinner laptop. CPU and other chips do not need to sit on top of a socket which allows for a thinner design.
#3 - Lighter laptop. Because of #2 the laptop would use less material thus shaving off ounces. This can also mean reduced costs.