Mobile Internet Users to Surpass Wireline Users By 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

sephirothmk

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Just no. I'm not gonna go blind trying to read some crammed text on my 4" cellphone while my carrier charges me an arm and a leg for it. PC and wired internet forever!

Marthian

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I doubt it. Honestly, stop promoting that POS tablet already, I'm not buying it, a lot of other people aren't buying it (or will, but still use their desktop as a main platform.), so shut up and start giving us some actual hardware news. We came for info on computers, not tablets.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Two big problems with Market Researches predictions:

1. As more consumers start using Smartphones, carriers are going to raise prices and decrease allowable monthly data usage turning consumers back to feature phones.

2. As a result of costly data plans Smartphone users will rely on thier home and wifi hotspots for internet access to keep from exceeding their data limit.

jdog2076

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Then they had better start finding some new solutions for mobile access. There's only so much bandwidth to go around. (RF bandwidth, that is. Not the speeds the carriers provide.)

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Also they said mobile, they didn't say tablet and smart phones. This would include laptops. They also didn't say they were only accessing it via cell phone providers, these numbers still reflect people using said devices on their own home networks. I know that some of my friends have stopped using their desktop in favor of a laptop that can move around the house. It seems logical that with a wider device base this prediction is not all that far fetched.

The problem I keep seeing is a strict definition of what a PC is, I've seen some studies say that laptops are PCs while other say no, laptops are mobile devices. Some say PC's are only PC's if they use Windows, which is silly. So until there is one definition that every study uses, which there probably never will be, they need to specify exactly what their specifications are for a given category, otherwise they do themselves and everyone who reads their study a disservice.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
if it can run 3ds max to its full capacity, its a "pc" weather mac, windows, laptop, and such.

if it cant, and the device is portable, its a mobile device...

those are my definitions.

Pyree

Distinguished
Once again, a study which is at best vague.

By mobile device do you mean a phone, tablet, ultrabook or desktop?

Tablet, ultrabook and laptop are different class of PC but they are mobile so you cannot put them in either mobile or PC side of a PC vs mobile device study.

This study should be comparing number of mobile broadband subscription (gprs, 3G, 4G, wimax) uptake vs fix line (dial-up, ISDN, ADSL, cable, fiber optic).

Auroram

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Haha, just like they predicted that desktops would be gone by now, and everyone would work on laptops. Desktops will always have a major role in everyday life, if only in offices and such.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Suuure, nowdays coverage of mobile devices is from regular to horrendus, add to that static, interference, small size for mobile devices and its kinda strange to belive that.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I'm not so sure about the US. But here in the UK we have more mobile phones than we do people. So surely its natural that as time progresses the number of people accessing the internet through their mobile will tend towards 100% as they upgrade their phones and business' want their employee's to be more connected when out of the office.

The idea of traditional PC internet users stagnating and declining is also taking a very biased look on things. In both the UK and the US the ammount of the population that is using the internet was above 80% in both countries. Its obvious that it will stagnate now. Whats more obvious is that people will be using both traditional PC's and mobile devices to access the internet.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
most people have 2 or three phones in draws in there home somewhere

you dont really get much for old phones so you tend to hang onto them for spares

me, mum and stepdad all got a phone each

then there is an 3 old nokias,some flip,and a sony ericson

thats 8 phones between the 3 of us

and we only have 1 wired conection in the house

Status
Not open for further replies.