Mobile Operators Want a Nokia Lumia 900 with Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman1992

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Well the OS itself is quite sleek. Needs more efficient marketing though, and that "smoked by windows phone" thing was a failure (WP got smoked by android but the store refused to give the prize with irrational, insane, made-up reasons)

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
My complaint with Windows Phone has always been the same. It's too similar to Apple products, too closed down. Windows Mobile was nice; felt like I was using Windows(PC) on my phone. Now they've got it bassackwards. They're building a computer operating system around a shitty mobile one. I've zero interest in using WP. Frankly I was torn when I dropped WM for Android. Could just be me, but maybe if they'd continued their mobile OS along the Windows Mobile path instead of creating a new one, they might have been more successful. Just my two cents...

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I cannot agree with this. I work in an IT related company and even here, besides the system engineers and a few geeks, most people seem to be barely capable to tell the difference between a E-72 and an old blackberry or between an Motorola Android and a Samsung Bada crap. Sadly, the only phone they seem to recognize for sure is the iPhone (but I'm sure I can show them an iPod touch and tell them is the new, slimmer iPhone 5... ).
In the Android world, Nokia doesn't stand a chance. It's already too crowded in there and the Nokia brand recognition is maybe not that high amongst smartphones users who didn't wait for Nokia all those years. Coming here with a Windows Phone puts them in a more unique position. They will probably not take many customers away from Samsung, HTC or Apple... but all those enterprises stuck with their Blackberry's and looking for something fresh yet professional may consider those new Nokias (I like Android for myself, but I don't consider this a professional product at all). Plus, the lumia's quite unique look fits perfectly with the metro tiles of Windows Phone. They were designed to meet each other :-D

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
One problem in Europe is that in here we read out the specks and they have been higher in Android models. Even though windows phones normally run sleeker and better than android phones that need to have reasonable fast hardware to run smoothly.
Also it seems that corporates in Europe are wainting for multicore support (read Windows 8 for phones) to jump the bandwagong...
So there is wainting game going on.

pneumo

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Again, I'd like to see hard numbers and names, not just "Some carriers" and "Reuters reports".
I can't speak for everyone, but I see more and more WP7 with people every day.
Also companies where everyone runs around with htc Titan's.

Maybe a lot of android lovers (not to be taken as something bad) just want android on those pretty Lumia's.
Cause either way you look at it, they ARE something different then your average smartphone.

njt

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
ever since the first pics of the lumia 900 were leaked i said i would buy it, if it came with android. i'm sure there's plenty of people that feel that way, so the providers are likely right; they're very handsome phones.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]rex86[/nom]Ah the failure that Nokia has become. Even with the help of Microsoft they can not raise from the dead.[/citation]
Isn't the Lumia line the most successful windows phone on sale?

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I'm moving to Windows phone when my current phone gives up the ghost. I will never run Win8 on my desktop though. I'll wait for Win9 and for MS to fix the Metro steaming pile of crap.

G

ask anyone what a nokia lumia, or windows phone 7 is in my college and i can garrentee you they won't know what it is, except for about 50 in the three thousand students in my college

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]jdog2pt0[/nom]My complaint with Windows Phone has always been the same. It's too similar to Apple products, too closed down[/citation]
WP7 is nothing like iOS in operation. Android looks very much like iOS.

If Nokia makes ANOTHER Android phone... that is all it would be. People bought the iPhone because how it functions, not just because it was apple... okay, some did.

Nokia wants to and needs to stick out from the crowd of Android-me-toos, and this is the way to do it.

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
Microsoft based phones have been around for sometime. The problem is they never figured out a good recipe on what makes a good smart phone over that time. I think it would be hard for customers who have always viewed Microsoft phones as mediocre as a good idea to purchase now. Their is to much history on them sucking and that's a huge perception to overcome. That's including the zune. I'm personally a Microsoft fan boy but I wouldn't buy one either as I feel Microsoft "doesn't get it".

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dthx[/nom](but I'm sure I can show them an iPod touch and tell them is the new, slimmer iPhone 5... )[/citation]
Yeah i've had a lot of ppl ask me if my iPod touch was the iphone 4 or 4s.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Perhaps the Lumia 1000 will crack it, 900 is underwhelming compared to the current crop from HTC(One X/S) and the upcoming Samsung. Plus its not even out in the UK yet and its too expensive compared to rivals.

G

Well, DUH!

That's what everybody and their dog have been saying since even before Nokia announced their plan to go with Windows mobile, that Nokia needs offer Android phones.

Nokia had tremendous brand loyalty, due to their build quality and many Nokia Symbian users (myselfi ncluded) would have switched to a quality Nokia Android phone. But sorry, Nokia, too late now that boat has sailed and I'm super happy with my Galaxy S2.

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
It's Starting to look like WP7 is going the way of the DoDo bird.

Shame... It's really good compared to Android and Apple, just that like Betamax it's not as widely received by many people.

The only person I know that has a WP7 is my dad and everyone else I know uses either an Android or an Iphone.

What Nokia should do is ship the personal computer of phones. By which I mean you can use any OS you want on it. These phones are just small handheld computers. As powerful as any desktop from the late 90's.

A user should just be able to install Windows Phone, Android or WebOS. Even dual boot if they want or run custom builds of Linux or FreeBSD for mega geeks. For the hackintosh folks they could even try to do a hacked iOS.

I would buy that phone in a heartbeat.

Obviously they would have to have models with an OS installed for the general consumer. But leave it completely open for those whom want to experiment. Just have a customize-able loader for the home computer to install the OS onto a formatted phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.