Mobile processor for running Android Studio

def_now

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
Currently, I am looking for a Windows laptop for Android app development. Which means I will be running the latest Android Studio.

Just a little background. Previously, I owned a laptop with Intel Core i5-5200u, 8 GB RAM and a 5400 RPM HDD. The processor was never fully utilized due to the I/O bottleneck by the HDD. I observed that my CPU was at most 20% utilization, while the HDD I/O was maxed out at 100%. And Android Studio took 3 minutes to do a cold start. However, a few weeks ago, the laptop died. As budget is tight, I am thinking of getting a cheaper replacement laptop this time round with a Celeron/Pentium processor.

I have checked around my area and found mainly laptops using the below 3 processors on sale:

1. ■Intel Core i5-7200u
    ■Intel Pentium N3700 (Quad core)
    ■Intel Celeron N3060 (Dual core)

I am wondering if I can get away with the dual core Celeron N3060 and 4 GB RAM.

Or is it advisable to at least get a quad core Pentium N3700 instead? Would there be any noticeable difference in performance for the IDE, emulator or build/debug process?

Or a Core i5 is the absolute minimum to run Android Studio and I cannot scrimp or save on a development laptop?

Would love to hear from Android app developers. Thanks.

I would recommend the i5 as you will notice a huge difference in compile time. The question is how patient are you? When xp was around I was able to use vb .net and made a program for my a level. obviously windows 10 is more intensive but you should be able to run it. I don't know what the compile time will be though.