ModMic 4 too quiet even with a usb soundcard

Peperuna

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017
Hi!

I recently purchased a modmic 4 and antlions own usb sound card (new model), but the mic is way too quiet even with the sound card. I have to boost the mic by 15db (with equalizer APO) to be able to hear basically anything and then the sound quality has been ruined by a bunch of white noise. I have tried it with my motherboards two different realtek drivers (Msi b450 gaming plus) which were an universal realtek nahimic 3 driver that was recomended and then a regular realtek driver, but that supported only analog inputs and not usb. I have also tried turning off and on AGC and it didn't make a difference. And also tried unpluging my headphones (Sony mdr-1A) if they limited the voltage input to the mic somehow, but neither did that make a difference. Also tried different usb inputs on my pc.

I really dont know what to do here and I'm starting to get really frustrated. The only way I can use the mic is by pluging it straight to the motherboard via the 3.5mm jack and then the mic volume is great but the quality is really bad.

The only thing i can think of is that the antlions own sound card is faulty or bad and I should try another one, but considering that the sound card is antlions own, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Feb 4, 2019
1) Check to make sure the mic is facing the right way. Talk into the back and see if its louder.

2) Check the mute switch

3) REALLY use some force and make sure the mic is jacked all the way in.

The proper settings with the USB sound card is AGC on at 70% volume, give or take.

If none of that works, email us at customerservice@antlionaudio.com and we'll see what else we can do.

Peperuna

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017

UPDATE!

I have now narrowed down the fault to the microphone. i borrowed a seperate 3.5mm mic from a friend of mine. And it worked as it should have with the usb sound card, because when plugged straight to the motherboard i had to boost it by 20db to be loud enough and with the sound card the volume was great at 90% and 0db of boost and it also sounded better.

Altough the modmic was working before i got the usb sound card for it, now after trying to get it working with the sound card and so on, it doesn't appear to work in anything anymore. I even tried it in my laptop with and w/o the usb sound card and it was still so quiet that i barely heard anything even when i blew to the mic w/o the sound card and with the sound card i was only able to hear myself when i was yelling to the mic.

And yes i tried evrything that you listed above and none of those worked. Only when i boosted the ModMic 4 by 20db WITH the sound card it was audible but then that lead to terrible sound quality. Also i got the one w/o the mute switch.

I suppose I first try to return it to the retailer that i bought it from and hope that they don't blame me for breaking it or something and maybe then i will contact you guys @antlion or?

Feb 4, 2019
Yep, that's the best bet. They should take the return, just let them know it was defective and swap it out. If they hassle you email us and we'll kick 'em in the shins (or something like that).

Peperuna

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017

Haha! Thanks for the help still!