Monitor Audio Silver 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
I owned them. great speakers natural midrange and highs and good bass. Good company to back you up also. Excellent craftsmanship to.
I have heard some of their other models and they sound pretty good.

What are your other components and what are you using to drive the? They're 4 ohm speakers so it will take a good amp to drive them.

Hopefully they will let you take them home for a few days to listen to the speakers...

shadowed

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
I have an older Denon 7.1 AVR. It is 105w/channel and still puts out very good sound. I also have some older bronze series monitor audio mains and center.

The Audio video dealer here have great service. I asked the owner a couple of weeks ago if they had the silver 10s in the store and he said no. Yesterday they phoned and said they now have a set if I wanted to come in and listen to them.

So... I will get a couple of CDs together and go have a listen.

I hope they are not too good or they may end up here... :(

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Great sounding speakers. Very natural sounding. Quality control excellent also.

shadowed

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Just to clarify, the amp is rated down to 6 ohm. If I were to play the 4 ohm speakers max volume for awhile, the amp would overheat and the protection circuit would shut it down.
There is a volume block on the amp to keep the volume from going to max and keeps things sane...and safe...

G

Can you elaborate more... I'm also considering this but there is no store where I can audition them.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I owned them. great speakers natural midrange and highs and good bass. Good company to back you up also. Excellent craftsmanship to.

Solution

shadowed

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006

I left a big long reply to your question a few days ago which for some reason vanished and never posted. Extremely frustrating.

Here is a review link instead.
This reviewer sums them up better than I ever could. The review is from 2006 and 2 generations ago for the silver series.
Each generation has been upgraded with new components, some(1?) of which, were inherited from the previous gold series. Each generation was said to improve on the previous so you can assume enhancements over the ones in this review.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/306monitor

shadowed

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
New updated personal experience after my other one never posted.

These speaker are almost frightening in their realism.

There is so much detail that I haven't heard or noticed before in songs I have listened to many times. It is like having a new music collection. The sounds were always there but just muddled in as some indistinguishable background noise. I listen to a large spectrum of music and have not found anything to dislike about the sound from these.

The new silver 10 do not need a sub. I like to turn up the bass once in a while and they can be buttery smooth and/or fast and hard at the same time. The frequency range and response is amazing. They make my Velodyne sub sound harsh and muddy.

I was reading and listening to some music in the background one night and a ladies voice came on as an intro to one of the tracks. I almost jumped out of my chair. For a split second I could have sworn that a person was somehow, suddenly behind me.
Another instance during a movie that had a dog barking off in the distance. I had to go check out the window to see why my dog was in the front yard and wondered how the hell he got out. He was snoozing away in the next room.

They mostly just leave my jaw hanging in wonder. How can such realistic sound reproduction come out of some moving cones in a wooden box ?

The only thing I have heard I can compare these to is a live performance.

G

Thanks for sharing. I am using RX-8 at the moment and I can't make up my mind whether I should upgrade to GX-300 or Silver 10 and save some money. I really wanted to audition these two but there's no opportunity to do that right now.

shadowed

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006

Maybe try posting your question here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/679047/monitor-audio-owners-thread

There are members that own/auditioned some of the gold series there.

It is hard for me to imagine how much better the golds could possibly be.
For that jump I would probably need to revamp my whole system from cables to amps to realize the benefits of the higher quality.

Its probably a good thing I haven't had access to audition the golds or platinums ;)

Best of luck on your upgrade decision!

Status
Not open for further replies.