Monitor w/ HDMI not picking up sounds

perchZ

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015
Whenever I go to Playback devices and set my monitor as the default, media like songs or youtube videos never load.
No green bars display next to the icon, either.

My friend and I have tried uninstalling the drivers and even using DVI, but that didn't work (the DVI didn't output sound either).

This all started after upgrading to windows 10. Any suggestions?

Solution

Yes, it is the default speaker output; however, as aforementioned, it causes media to not load or stop playing (if something's already running). The monitor has built-in speakers. I've used them before the upgrade to windows 10.
I'm using an r9 270x

Matt Walter

Estimable
Mar 10, 2015
dont try DVI as there is no chance of that working. have you made sure you have set the monitor as the default speaker output? to do this, right click on the speaker icon on/in the tray, and select 'playback devices'. Then choose your monitor and click make default device. two other things - you do have a monitor w/ speakers right? also, sometimes using AMD graphics can add an extra layer of difficulty. tell me if this is the case.

perchZ

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015

Yes, it is the default speaker output; however, as aforementioned, it causes media to not load or stop playing (if something's already running). The monitor has built-in speakers. I've used them before the upgrade to windows 10.
I'm using an r9 270x

Solution