Question Most lightweight budget laptop

Aug 24, 2022
Good day,
I searched for a long time and relatively without success. I need a laptop with the following parameters:
  • As cheap as possible (the low price has to be because of low performance, but not because of low quality; in other words: I care about quality, but almost not about performance; it is enough for the laptop to start programs like Word, max Powerpoint) - ideally up to 290 €, but if there's one much lighter for a max 90 € more, I'll take it.
  • The lowest possible weight (under 1 kg or 2.2 pounds) - this is the highest priority
  • Seamless connection to an external monitor (e.g. HDMI or display port support). For example, the Lenovo IdeaPad Duet chromebook fulfills all of the above. It only has one port, but that doesn't matter - it can be solved with a USB hub. But what bothers: buggy support for transferring video to an external monitor.
  • High brightness (not so important)
  • Desktop operating system (No Android or iOS); preferably Chrome OS

DVD drive, LAN (ethernet), backlit keyboard, battery life, sound quality,... It all doesn't matter.

I am surprised that it seems that the above mentioned device probably does not exist. I thought that a lot of people were interested in lightweight ultraportable laptops with lower performance and without "bells and whistles".

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
Are you against the used market? I can't really think if anything under 300 eur that isn't just abysmal garbage. the only things that I know of are laptops I wouldn't even wish upon my worst enemies, and trust me I have a lot of enemies

One you possibly might be interested in is the Acer cb3 - 131 or any of its sub variants such as the model with a touch screen or the model with 4 gigs of RAM.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
thought that a lot of people were interested in lightweight ultraportable laptops with lower performance and without "bells and whistles".

people are mostly interested in thin and light laptops with very high quality standards and a few of the bells and whistles as mostly what you see in laptops like the LG gram. Unfortunately you are not a big enough target audience for manufacturers to be making cheap crap-books.

The reality is you probably end up with something like the HP stream which is arguably one of the worst laptops on the market.

If you actually want a Chrome system, there are many in your budget, especially a year or two used systems. I have had a couple of Samsung Chromebook Plus models that I really liked, would need a USB C to HDMI adapter with that one. ASUS makes nice ones, had one of those also.