Question Motion R12 won' boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

deividasn

Estimable
Jul 20, 2019
Hello i have problem with Motion Computing R12 R001. tablet , I haved problem with cooling fan, this was very noise, i fixed them. But i pushed swich SW1 (see on the picture), when tablet was on, why i did this i don't know, then tablet power off. Now, when i press power on button led's just goes on and then quickly off and tabled not boot up. Can sameone help me? Thanks
photo here :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ck3z--vmYUu90pfiU-Of63ff4cxId1xG/view?usp=share_link

Mar 30, 2023
I have the same tablet. Mine is 8GB Ram and 1TB SSD. When I first bought it refurbished, (2029) and tried using the 12V auto charger I was sold, it did exactly the same thing you are saying. The three green circle lights on the left corner would come on for about 5 seconds, then off. I sent it back and was told it somehow got stuck in a loop during boot up POST. Thankfully the tech explained the problem and what he had to do to resolve it. The seller said it happens sometimes, and the bridge battery keeps something in the BIOS energized, so the boot cycle cannot complete. Supposedly I was to hold one of he power buttons and one of the volume buttons (I cannot remember the sequence, but I believe I can find the old email if you want me to.) to drain the bridge battery to break the loop.
None of it worked. So I sent it back, and the tech told me how he fixed it. He split the case, and unplugged the bridge battery, then put it all back together again, and it worked. No lost data.
This same thing happened again, when I tried the 12V charger again some months later. I concluded it was a voltage issue with the charger and quit using it. The next time it happened, I learned how to split the case and disconnect the battery.
Then it happened again! This time on mains power. I THINK MS sent out an update to Win 10 Pro (what I'm running) and I happened to unplug the power during that update process and the machine battery drained. I have found some updates happen without warning, and the machine seems to take for EVER to shut down. Second time taking it apart. I'm getting OK at it, but there are a LOT of REALLY fine and delicate connections in there, as I'm sure you know. From then on, if I didn't see the three lights at the upper left corner click off shortly after shut down, I'd leave it plugged in till the morning.
Just this week it's happened AGAIN! I have no idea what could have provoked it this time. I'm leaning towards it may be an incompatibility between Win10 and this machine. As you probably also know, the Motion R12s are different than the Slate R12s. I'm not sure of what all is different but the BIOS file is different, and I believe the Motion R12s originally shipped with Win7. I have some other issues with mine, specifically the blue tooth for the keyboard and mouse I have. Up till sometime a year to 1.5 years ago, I had NO problems with them. Then I started having the supposedly Low Energy Bluetooth flaws show up. Where the BT connection just fails and drops. Supposedly it's because my Logitech devices are not LE BT enabled. I have chased that one down to when there is a high CPU usage demand, the computer cuts the BT connection. MOST of the time it will find the devices again, but it may take 20 to 30 seconds. If it doesn't find them by then, then the connection has to be reset. I contend this is another incompatibility between a Win 10 update and the BT chip in these machines.
I took the liberty of taking your image and marking with two yellow ovals the locations I have fond that are EXTREMELY sensitive and easily damaged. I attempted to send up a marked up image showing the battery connection. I could not make it work. THEREFORE, looking at the image you posted, on the right, approximately in the same plane as the top of the frame of the docking station, you will see, RIGHT NEXT to the opening in the case, a connection with red, blue and yellow wires. Its a flat connector, designed to be disconnected. Directly above that connection there is a LiPo battery, those wires feed to. The wires are wrapped with a black fabric wire management sleeve. The battery is securely glued in. I would not try to get it out if I were you. If you need an image, let me know and I can email it. I DO NOT think this is a good way to have to deal with this, but given the dealer and service tech I worked with both were very familiar with the issue, I believe its a chronic problem these machines have. Be VERY careful taking that connection apart. I have also found the plastic sockets in these are drying out and will break easily. Good luck with any repairs you do and let us know the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.