thegeekfather

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
This is going to be my first smartphone ever, I want one that won't start to stutter only in a year or two. I also want a stock android experience, and since I'm in India contract phones are out of the question. Another thing I'd like is to have timely android updates. Hence the choices are either get a Nexus 4 for about $250 on ebay, or purchase the dual-sim variant of the Moto G available here for $225. Since Lenovo's acquisition of Motorola Mobility, I have started to doubt whether the phone will receive updates anymore and that may be a deal-breaker. But on the other hand, the technology on the Moto G is much more modern (but not entirely better) than that on the Nexus 4. On paper, the Nexus 4 seems way ahead of the Moto G, but the difference in their release time change the whole playing field. I have never owned a smartphone before, so can anyone tell me whether I'm making too much of a fuss over a small thing? And which is the better option..? Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Solution
My Nexus 4 still kicks some serious butt to this day, Where as a couple of friends of mine have the Moto G say it feels a little slower than my older N4.

My answer would be the Nexus 4 instead of the Moto G, but the Moto G is not really a bad phone.

Everybody has an opinion, but just get what will suit your needs better, One device might be better for me, where as it wouldn't be the best for you.
Just do some research into this some more or read some forums until you are absolutely positive on what phone you want.

PsyKhiqZero

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
I would image that phones in your country are unlocked, so android updates won't be a real issue. Both of the phones bootloader are easy to unlock. This means you can count on the community for updates. With that said the community support for the nexus 4 is prolly a lot greater then the support for the moto g. I would go with the Nexus 4

Depending on how you use your phone having the latest version of Android isn't always ideal in my experience. You can encounter compatibility issues with games, apps and even accessories when the latest version releases and the developers haven't had time to update their apps.

Matthewmatt3

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
My Nexus 4 still kicks some serious butt to this day, Where as a couple of friends of mine have the Moto G say it feels a little slower than my older N4.

My answer would be the Nexus 4 instead of the Moto G, but the Moto G is not really a bad phone.

Everybody has an opinion, but just get what will suit your needs better, One device might be better for me, where as it wouldn't be the best for you.
Just do some research into this some more or read some forums until you are absolutely positive on what phone you want.

Solution

thegeekfather

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

Hahah Thanks for putting it that way! At first I was pretty set on getting the Moto G until I found Nexus 4s at pretty good prices on Ebay. Oh and as for the glass back, would it be worth buying a case for it? I have no experience with phones so I can't say whether I drop them a lot or not.. :p

thegeekfather

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

Yeah but the lower price point and better battery life are great benefactors for the Moto G, but it seems to be unanimous that the Nexus 4 is better..

Matthewmatt3

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

This may just be me, But I like to get cases that have a clear back so I can see both sides of the phone. These cases are pretty cheap in most cases.

If you feel that you might not be as careful with the phone you could always get a bigger case. Again, It comes down to what will suit your specific needs.

You could try getting more than one case to see which one you like more. Get a more protective oriented case, as well as a slimmer case that still protects the sides of the phone.

thegeekfather

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
I really liked the dBrand "carbon fiber" back (yes I know it's not made of real carbon fiber) but alas it isn't available in India (like most things). Apart from that I'll be purchasing the bumper case and of course a screen guard. I might just get a cover for the back or a full case, I just don't want any colourful crap or something that is too intrusive to the design of the phone itself. Which is why the carbon fiber back was something I'd get..

thdarkshadow

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
I have personally owned both, and used both as my daily phone for about 1-2 months each, and the nexus 4 due to more ram has better performance. I don't really multitask that much maybe have three chrome tabs and listen to music but it still has to reload pages often enough to be annoying to me. The SOC is fine and has no trouble keeping up its just android really begs for more than 1gb of RAM. The physical build of the moto g is better (it feels better in hand) and the screen has better color too. the moto G has quite a bit better battery life.

Honestly they are both great phones. The nexus 4 is VERY easy to brake which is why i ended up buying the moto g... I shattered the screen and since the digitizer is part of the screen it no longer worked.
If I were to have to chose between them I think I would go with the moto G. It feels better to hold, the screen is better and the battery will ALWAYS get me through the day no matter what I do. I would sometimes have to charge my nexus 4 about 5:00 PM since the battery just couldn't always make it. It also has better cases to get for it like the Grip Shell (which is fantastic) and flip shell.

As for updates I believe Motorola will still be run like Google ran it as an (somewhat) independent company at least for the next couple years. of course Lenovo will influence it but updates will be just like they have been for the next couple years. You can't really change a company over night and the last thing you want to do is make all your currant customers mad

If you have any specific questions about the phones feel free to ask.

thegeekfather

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Ah, very true. But I already put an order in for the Nexus! Hahah, no matter. A little less battery life is fine, also since it's a Google device it's bound to be supported by the community for longer. As for how easily the glass can shatter, I've gotten a case and a back bumper for it. Let's hope nothing happens! xD

thegeekfather

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
thdarkshadow Hahah thanks mate! I plan on using it for two more years. Hopefully by then Google Play Edition phones will be globally available, if the Nexus line dies I don't know how I'd get the pure Android experience in India then..