Mouse quit working, windows 10 install

lordrussell

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Here's the skinny, my laptop refuses to load/show the mouse while I'm loading a clean install of windows 10. After much swearing and self flagellation I came to the conclusion I can't solve the issue.

I have already tried the removing of the battery/hold the power switch for 10 seconds and every possible BIOS setting known to the laptop. Obviously, the mouse & keyboard work within the BIOS environment , but only the keyboard works when CLEAN installing windows 10 or 8. Oddly, the mouse does work in a clean install of windows 7... what happened? The only problem with 7 is that I get the "you need a driver disk" window when trying to install 7.

I also have luck with putting a usb mouse on the laptop while doing the install, just no touchpad. I've looked all over the net and 'obviously' have found no definitive answer. Matter of fact, I haven't seen this exact problem come up in any forum. You would think windows 10 would have the proper drivers to get the touchpad working for install, but no such think in my issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My laptop happens to be a Samsung NP740U5L... Thanks again.

lordrussell

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Thanks for your reply, however, the problem is there is no point where I could/can install a driver within the windows 10 install environment. It never asks me for such drivers. Only windows 7 gives me the opportunity to put a driver in. 10 was originally on the laptop when I got it & the touchpad was fine.

Windows 10 is also the original OS to come on the laptop. Currently I can't find the individual downloads on the Samsung site.

lordrussell

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Good idea, but I should have mentioned that I did an install solely from the keyboard, visited the Samsung site and did as you said. Their downloads didn't have additional touchpad drivers. Very odd.