Mozilla Exposed 44,000 Passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
That is great to know....the IT Team must be a bunch people hired because they know someone, not what they know. I really wish that this type of info was actually secure. If you guys need someone to teach you security you can look for the A+ Book, at least it has common practices. Then you can move to Net+, followed by Security+. Knowledge is power, idiots. Keep up the great work.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
It seemed like the personal information about Honda's accounts for 2.2 million people was more newsworthy than the 44,000 passwords from an old database of inactive users for Mozilla. I like how it was just thrown in there as a "P.S."

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Platypus[/nom]It seemed like the personal information about Honda's accounts for 2.2 million people was more newsworthy than the 44,000 passwords from an old database of inactive users for Mozilla. I like how it was just thrown in there as a "P.S."[/citation]

True. On the other hand, Mozilla is a software company. I typically find it more embarrassing when a cook can't grill a steak properly than an IT guy who fails to do the same.

Besides, Mozilla has often made fun of IE's safety record. Of course that's completely justifiable, but losing passwords makes that sound a bit odd, doesn't it?

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
The one thing that no amount of security can stop, is the help of an inside source. Me thinks there's more going on to both of these than the short story says.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
God forbid somebody else sign into my Mozilla account and leave favorable reviews for apps I hate.

The hacked account data from Honda, on the other hand, could be far more dangerous for consumers effected by the lapse in security.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I don't know what's worse. THIS, or using Google Chrome. I was shocked when I looked at my password manager for Google Chrome to see all of my passwords in PLAIN TEXT!!! Translation, if you save your passwords when it prompts you to in Google Chrome, then let a friend use your computer, if he'she launches Google Chrome, then they can get to your password, easily!

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]The one thing that no amount of security can stop, is the help of an inside source. Me thinks there's more going on to both of these than the short story says.[/citation]
There's no real reason for somebody to leak the old, inactive account login info. It's not like Google, using your personally identifiable data to serve you ads, had all their wealth of info leaked. All that was gotten was a list of email addresses and passwords for users of the Mozilla addons.org site, like leaving reviews or submitting addons. Even for the people affected it sounds pretty innocuous to me.

Dadeeo

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
It's hilarious that Tom's is highlighting a story on the lack of security AT Mozilla, and they can't even keep spammers from leaving ad's in the comments area....

dsolom3

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I don't know what's worse. THIS, or using Google Chrome. I was shocked when I looked at my password manager for Google Chrome to see all of my passwords in PLAIN TEXT!!! Translation, if you save your passwords when it prompts you to in Google Chrome, then let a friend use your computer, if he'she launches Google Chrome, then they can get to your password, easily![/citation]

In Firefox, go to Edit->Preferences (or Tools->Options (not sure...) in Windows, and don't even think about asking about Mac!), hit on "Security" tab, click the "Saved Passwords" button, hit "Show Passwords" - voila!

Status
Not open for further replies.