Mozilla FIrefox creates Internet Explorer files+adware???

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
I've been using Firefox for quite a while now, but cant quite figure out why/how this is:

When im cleaning my files, using CCleaner, i will sometimes have an extreme amount of IE files, like 300-500mb worth(note i use Ccleaner several times a day which is what makes the high amount strange to me)
despite not using IE, and only Firefox, (which i also have to auto delete everything on closing)
which is why i rarely have many junk files from mozilla since it neatly removes most

then lately i've been getting these, adware/malware alerts when scanning my system, that i somehow got some adware, PUP's attached to IE,
again how, since i never use it??

it actually caused me to looking into completely deleting IE, but yay, go MS for making that impossible

Is there something wrong since im using Firefox, but getting tons of IE generated junk/temp files?+ IE being the adware target/attachment?
or is it just how firefox works after update #X??

did you have the latest version of firefox the 28.0 also when you install did you import the ie settings ,this i never do and leave them separate and put the do not track on in firefox also do not keep navigation history ,use malwarebytes free to remove them pup up and adware .

amdfangirl

Distinguished
Herald
Apr 7, 2008
You should be able to limit how much cache Firefox uses in Options>Advanced>Network>Override Automatic Cache Management.

Other than that I have no idea why IE has so many temp files.

I have both CCleaner and Firefox and the crap in there is in the KB...

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

i ofc have the latest Firefox version, and didnt bother to import IE settings and scan my system for adware and malware and virus regular using multiple programs to be safe and ofc remove anything found(which is rare) immediately

like i said Firefox neatly removes most of its own junk when i close the browser, so in the Ccleaner window my Firefox temp files is also only in the KB range

so why im sometimes getting 100.000s of IE named files in the high MB amount, and PUP's that are located and registered in IE files/location, is what confuses me, since i havent used IE in years
and it seem to have started recently and be more frequent
which is why i thought/hoped the reason might be Firefox somehow using IE or directing stuff there, rather than my system be compromised with something my scans cant find

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

done and done, a couple of times even(multiple programs), since i started noticing this, fearing it might be something malicious

NoviceOldGuy

Estimable
Apr 30, 2014
I too was tired of seeing IE creating files when I had not used it in years! When I don't use something and it seems to run by itself, I get both suspicious and nervous!
You need to separate Firefox from your IE settings. Firefox is probably set to use "system proxy settings". I found and used this method:
http://
But then, I had to go into Firefox and change it to "No Proxy" to get it to stop using the IE (system) settings.