MPEG2 playback on Sony Bravia NX500 HDTV

aninda_d

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I have a Sony NX500 HDTV. This TV has USB ports that support MPEG2 files stored on USB drives. Whenever I convert mkv 720p to mpeg2 I get stuttering video. Why is this happening? Is there a converter specially for converting files for playback on Sony TV's?

aninda_d

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Man read my question again. I am playing the video off a USb drive plugged into a Sony HDTV!!! BTW a quad core is not needed to playback HD movies. Even my Core2Duo does a good job!

audioholic

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
By USB Drive, do you mean a USB Harddisk? If so, your movies will stutter. Optimal USB drive storage for use with a SONY NX500 is upto 32GB. Anything more than that will result in a stutter as the TV's memory cache is way too little to support anything above 32GB. I use a 8GB Sony memory stick to play movies/ songs off the TV and it works great. I convert my MKV files and downsample them to MPEG2 encoded .AVI files. Works fine.

aninda_d

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I meant a USB pen drive. Well NX500 supports only 4GB drives. I think there's a problem with the encoding because I get the stutter while playback on PC too. What encoder do you use? I use Xilisoft Ultimate.

audioholic

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010

I use Video Converter for Mac - http://www.videoconverterformac.com/ I paid US$35 - Around Rs.1,750. But, its totally worth it. It encodes into every possible format available now. But, if you're using Windows, I ain't sure of which one would be the best converter...

asadrao

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Im having the same problem , i converted a movie from .mkv to .mp4 which is a Sony TV compatible format to play movies. I converted the Sample of the movie and played it and it worked just fine. But the full movie (size 9.4GB) dosent play and the Sony Tv says "PLAY BACK NOT AVAILABLE".

Why is that?

Im playing it from my Segate Portable Harddisk 500GB!
What seem to be the problem!

aninda_d

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009

If you are plugging in directly to TV's USB then you need to use 4GB pen drive. This is with my 2 yr old Sony NX500. However times have changed. Maybe the TV supports higher capacity drives. Check the formatting. I think it should be FAT32. Also check file type. Which TV do you have. Maybe I can help you with the requirements.