mps/wma nightmare!!

athalus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
ok here's the deal. i've got some mp3 that i downloaded a while ago from napster and recently i've been downloading some mp3's from a radio station. the person in both instances is a comic on that station. (they are sort of a weird al yankovic type but they all pertain to massachuesetts things)

anyway i've been triing to get them all on 1 cd for my car and at work on my computer. i used windows media player to convert them all to .wma's but nero express would only recognize 1/2 of them. so i then used media player to put them all on 1 cd. the cd works great in my stereo but nothing on my computer plays it at all (media player, musicmatch or the one that comes w/my audigy 2).

today i downloaded the 'windows media bonus pack for xp'. again i converted all the files to .wma's. i then used nero express to burn them on a cd by using the '.wma files' on making audio cd's i was able to burn the cd and it works great but only on my computer and only w/media player recognizes the cd.

any ideas on what to do? i've got 2 cd's one works only on my computer and the other works only in my stereo.

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Why are you converting them to WMA format again? I mean, if you're using Nero, you can simply drag MP3 files to create the audio cd.

-----
I'm a bullfücker.

athalus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
ok maybe i didn't fully explain. i have 36 different songs. nero will only read 17 of them. my plan was to convert them to a single type so that i can get all 36. i've tried every setting in nero and i can't get all of them. the only wma's it takes are the ones that were originally mp3's. it won't take the converted ones, nero gives me a message saying it can't read the file.

update:
after alot of digging i managed to find a few more copies of the files on my hard drive. i then went to the web site and downloaded a few that i was missing. overall i ended up about 5 short and i also found a few that i didn't have. it was still a major p-i-a and luckily i have a lot of time on my hands these days.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by athalus on 02/12/04 03:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Why don't you set the output plugin of Winamp to 'disk writer' and then convert all of your files to WAVEs which nero will surely recognize?

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
Hi

Still don't understand why Nero doesn't recognize your MP3s. Which version of Nero are you using? Nero should be able to automatically recognize MP3s and convert then to audio CD format.

Gary Hendricks
<A HREF="http://www.digital-music-guide.com" target="_new">www.digital-music-guide.com</A>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
All I can think of is poss when U convert, check the copy-protect tickbox...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

leninmardanof

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2004
I am thinking along the same lines as marneus. WMA is Microsoft's proprietary format, and MS is all about Digital Rights Protection these days. I would not be surprised if using Windows Media Player to encode sets some copy prevention measure. My advice is always deal with standards-based and open-source technology, and be very suspicious of anything proprietary.

It is not for nothing that everyone is baffled that you are not using MP3.