MSI Computer G Series GT72 Dominator-019 17.3" Laptop

TehNoob87

Estimable
Jan 17, 2016
I'm pretty much new with handling gaming laptops; I've read a lot of forums though.

I just need help making sure I've got this laptop running at optimum performance - I know it doesn't have G-SYNC & it has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX970M graphics processor.

TehNoob87

Estimable
Jan 17, 2016

Make sure it's running at maximum performance by removing any bloatware, overclocking anything that can handle it (CPU, GPU, etc.) in case I get a redeem code for the latest Tomb Raider game.

Basically, I really need to know this device - inside & out; and I know that'll include a lot of reading with the manual; but forums help too.

TehNoob87

Estimable
Jan 17, 2016
Here's a review someone left for this item on Amazon:

"This laptop is really powerful at this price point. You are able to upgrade the RAM, GPU, and HDD. The CPU is overclockable to ~4.3 Ghz on all cores. It has a fan switch that ramps up the fans for high workloads. I am using a mild OC at 3.6 Ghz with stock clocks on the GPU and I'm seeing frames of ~300 FPS in games like CS:GO. For all other AAA titles like Battlefield 4 and Battlefront it hovers around ~100 FPS on ultra with max AA. In comparison this laptop trades blows with my i7 4790k @ 4.6 Ghz, GTX 970 @ 1500 Mhz, desktop gaming rig.

Pros:
- Will give a majority of desktop PC's a run for their money
- CPU easily overclocks ~+1.6 Ghz without heat issues
- GPU easily overclocks
- Upgradeable GPU

Cons:
- Comes shipped full of bloatware that must be disabled in order to see full performance
- HDD bottlenecks load times and OS
- Windows 10
- Upgrading voids warranty in countries other than USA

Recommendations:
- Disable bloatware in task manager "CTRL+SHIFT+ESC>Startup tab and Services tab"
- (Advanced) Overclock the CPU
- (Advanced) Overclock the GPU
- Set "minimum processor state" in power options, when plugged in, to 100%
- Set "NVIDIA Control Panel>3D Settings>Manage 3D Settings>Power Management Mode" to Prefer maximum performance
- Run Spybot Anti-Beacon (FREE)
- (Advanced) Stop Windows 10 from spying through registry, scheduled tasks, etc."