Solved! MSI G70 MS-1772 - no boot

Jan 13, 2022
Hi, I need some expert advice to resolve an issue with my MSI G70 MS-1772 laptop. Its' not powering on, instead the power light keeps blinking red and orange every 4-5 seconds. I've tried unplugging I/O cables, cards and HDD and tried powering it on with and without battery but the same result. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Solution
The service manuals are not always available on line. They are really helpful if you need to open the machine up. The user manuals generally don't address that.

If the machine fell, could be a connection inside was broken. This can be almost impossible to figure out as not all the connections are visible---some are underneath components. You may need to send the machine back to MSI for repair. Not a pleasant thing to do given the cost+time involved. They may also reformat your system drive.

ESD precautions are important if you open the machine. Lots of articles regarding this on the internet.
You need to do a little research on "blink codes" for you machine. Those blinks are trying to communicate the problem but they are specific to different machines so try to look them up. I would start by trying to find the service manual for your laptop. Going in and unplugging connectors rarely is helpful but can cause more problems. What were the events leading up to the machine not powering up? Did it just happen for no reason? When you find the service manual, read about manufacturer precautions--especially ESD precautions. We need more background information to assist you.

Reactions: Carl31
Jan 13, 2022
Thanks for your reply. My bad, should have included some background earlier, it has fallen down very recently, nothing broke superficially and even insides, so far as visible. And this problem has come up ever since. I found the user manual and it doens't have any mention of ESD precautions, but can't locate the service manual. Not sure if this helps.

The service manuals are not always available on line. They are really helpful if you need to open the machine up. The user manuals generally don't address that.

If the machine fell, could be a connection inside was broken. This can be almost impossible to figure out as not all the connections are visible---some are underneath components. You may need to send the machine back to MSI for repair. Not a pleasant thing to do given the cost+time involved. They may also reformat your system drive.

ESD precautions are important if you open the machine. Lots of articles regarding this on the internet.

Solution