MSI GE62 Apache-002 or Lenovo Y70 Touch!

Grafity356

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
MSI GE62 Apache-002 Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 4720HQ (2.60GHz) 12GB Memory 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M 2 GB GDDR5 15.6" Windows 8.1

OR

Lenovo Y70 Touch (80DU006TUS) Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50GHz) 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 8GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 4 GB GDDR5 17.3" Touchscreen Windows 8.1

Vague24

Estimable
Jan 16, 2015
It is funny that I found this thread (via Google search on the GE62, no less), as I've actually been researching this very question for the last couple days.

While researching the Lenovo, I found that the main complaint about it was that the display was horrible. The screen is apparently very dark. Also, because it was a TN display, when the screen is off-angle at all it is very difficult to see. Then I read an article saying the 4k model was much better. So I looked into whether they sell a touchscreen 4K model, and I found one for $1500 Canadian from the Microsoft Store, which featured a 256GB SSD and 16GB of memory. I really wanted the touchscreen, so I almost bought it.

I'm really glad I didn't buy it. Upon further research, the 4k "UHD" display is stuck at 48Hz, and Lenovo has confirmed they cannot fix it as the display is only rated for 48Hz. I didn't know whether I would notice the difference (I think normal refresh rate is 60Hz) but a lot of people complained about it. Also, apparently the yellow is really off on the 4k display. There is a fix available on the internet, but even after the fix the yellow looks weird.

The only reason I wanted the Lenovo was the touchscreen, but if the display was horrible (even on the 4k model), I decided I couldn't get the Y50. I looked at other laptops, and I decided the best deal for my money was the new MSI GE62.

With the 900m-series Nvidia GPU you are basically future-proofing your purchase. I equate it to the laptop being viable for at least a year longer than one with an 800m-series GPU. Being paranoid about the display after the Lenovo landmine, I researched the display on the GE62. It has an IPS screen, which are consistantly rated better than TN screens. There were no reviews of the specific display that I could find, but I figure it has to be magnitudes better than the screen on any of the Lenovo Y models, judging from the feedback I'd read.

With better specs under the hood and a better display screen vs. lesser specs and a horrible screen, but with a touchscreen...I decided that I would buy an MSI GE62.

The only thing I personally have left to consider is whether to get basically the GE62 model you give the specs for, (except with only 8GB of memory, 2QE-003US, $1460 CDN) or another GE62 model I found. The other model I found (2QF-056US, $1760 CDN) has a 970m GPU instead of the 965m, has 12GB of memory, and adds a 128GB SSD boot drive. I'm still going back and forth on whether to spend the extra cash for the upgrade, but I very well might.

Lastly, if you want to do some more research of your own, I'd recommend notebookcheck.net. I found a lot of my info from google searches, but a lot of the best info I found was in their laptop reviews or forums.

Anyway, good luck!

GeoToms

Estimable
Jan 18, 2015

I'm looking at this laptop also and have discarded any thing higher than 1080p because of the scaling issues and mustard color issues. But I'm curious why you made the Touch screen such a priority, especially on a gaming laptop.

I personally can't stand fingerprints on my phone so I got the Galaxy Note 4 and use the stylus most of the time. I currently have a Dell ultrabook convertible with a touch screen and I've never used it - I turned it off actually. Too many times people pointing at my screen and accidentally touching / zooming into it, plus leaving their smudges. I even use just the mouse in the tablet mode. (No, I'm not a neat OCD freak :D You should see my room)

Anyway - not criticizing you or anything - just curious why you would want one. I don't know anybody who uses the metro interface and I only use one app on it and I use my keyboard and mouse for it. :)

Oh - back to the main topic - :) Yes, I'll probably get this laptop or something with the GTX 965M processor - just haven't see any other laptop with it yet.

G

Vague24

Estimable
Jan 16, 2015
Geo,

My reasoning behind wanting the touchscreen was for two overlapping reasons:

1) Apprehension about using Windows 8.

2) Wanting to future-proof the laptop as much as possible.

I've only really ever used Windows 8 on one occasion, and I did not enjoy the experience. Being that Windows 8 was designed for a touchscreen, I figured it would be easier to navigate if I had one. Also, I plan to use this laptop for about 4-7 years after purchase, and I didn't want the lack of a touchscreen to hold me back from future applications.

However, when I realized how bad the display was on all the Y50 models, I did a bit more research on Windows. I guess 8.1 has made the navigation easier than I thought without a touchscreen. Also, it appears Windows 10 will be even more user friendly to those without a touchscreen (Windows 10 I think launches mid-2015).

I was mainly worried I would be left behind without a touchscreen. Thankfully, it looks like adoption of touchscreen technology won't be mandatory any time soon.

By the way, I also have the Note 4. However, I haven't used the stylus as much as I thought I would. I do find myself constantly trying to wipe away prints, so I think I will use your suggestion and take out the stylus more often!

Cheers,

Vague

GeoToms

Estimable
Jan 18, 2015
Hey Vague,

Yeah - I think if MS made anything touchscreen-only in the next 20 years, there will be a revolt :) There will always be the mouse / keyboard interface and my Windows 8.1 system boots straight into the desktop and the ClassicShell add-on just replace the stupid metro button with the good old Start button. I would downgrade my laptop to Windows 7 if I could but I couldn't find all the drivers.

Anyway - I also looked at the Gigabyte P25Wv2 last night - pretty good specs with a slightly faster gpu, slightly faster cpu but 4G less main memory but 4G more gpu memory:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233045

Too bad they only have it in the Fugly Yellow :)

G

Vague24

Estimable
Jan 16, 2015
G,

That's a pretty amazing deal for the price, I have to admit. More than 8GB of system memory is wasted on most people, so not a big worry there. The only question I'd be asking is how much good will the extra GPU memory do. I've read that the higher capacity GPU memory only really helps at high resolutions with high-level AA, etc. I don't know if it really helps most of the time. Regardless if the extra GPU memory does much, that has to be one of the best deals out there. Looking at some of these deals, I wish I was back in the States!

Assuming you do live in the US, check this out: https://www.powernotebooks.com/configure.php?special=1869

These guys do custom laptop configurations, just like Xotic PC. I started off with the GE62 base configuration and added a 128GB SSD for $75. Total is $1378 US, or $1336.66 US if you pay cash.

$75 more nets you basically the same laptop (with the SSD), only with the 965m instead of the 870m. I think the 965m is about 10% faster than the 870m, but that model of the 870m has the 3x the GPU memory in the (for what it's worth).

$64,000 question...er, rather $75 question: Can you live with the yellow color?

Lol, I don't know if I could...but it is a phenomenal deal.

Good luck!

Vague

EDIT: Shoot, I missed the faster processor on the banana-rama! Much more difficult choice. Bah, if I were you I would almost have to go for it. Yellow color be damned! :)

kioharumi

Estimable
Apr 2, 2015
Hye Guys, i wanted to tell u Something....
Recently, I had bought a Gaming Laptop MSI GE62 2QF

MSI_GE62_GE72-Featured_zpslptp7shm.jpg
[/URL][/img]

hqdefault_zpsvh14wzgh.jpg
[/URL][/img]

msi-ge62-2qe-topimg_1_zpsl6ys6a1q.jpg
[/URL][/img]

# here's the Spec
1) (Official Site)
http://

2) My Display ScreenCapture
]http://[/url]

# I think u 'Often' see this MSI Laptop at the AD in Youtube Site & Etch

# I bought it with UHD IPS Display

And U know what ??!

I felt TOTALLY Regret buying this Laptop.... cause :

it is equipped with UHD Display.... i felt regret cause

It IS BOTTLENECk at 48Hz !! My Display is VERY BEAUTIFUL but the PERFORMANCE is VERYx3 LOW.... The Display is very lagging and stutter at certain time even though it have a QuadCore CPu i7 4720HQ.... This is because intel use OPTIMUS method to render Display... even Intel nowAdays still NOT SUPPORTED UHD / 4K Display....

Then, because of the UHD Display, U Gonna LOW Down Ur RESOLUTION in Almost Every GAme.... As for Skyrim... :

# Not Modded (Vanilla) :
Use resolution 1920 x 1080 , MAX FPS reach : 38 FPS
Use resolution 1280 x 720, MAX FPS 50 FPS
# Modded Heavily :
Use resolution 1920 x 1080, MAX FPS reach : 32 FPS....
Use resolution 1280 x 720, MAX FPS : 49 FPS

That is for SkyRim (Legendary Edition)......

:fou:

This issue is the Same as :

http://

the COre of Problem ? = the Hardware of UHD/4k Display.....

**** So, As for now, I shall wait for 6 Months to wait (Hopefully) for the Patch to Fixed this kind of thing..... If there is no SOLUTION, then i got NO OTHER CHOICE other then DOWNGRADING my UHD display to FHD IPS Display....

Please be Reminded... DONT BUY UHD/4k Display Laptops !!!

Vasco88

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015
I'm also looking for the MSI (to me the better for it's price). But the question is on the screen, some reviews says it's an IPS display. But on the official website nothing specified. So I don't know where to find it in France. If you have some advice ?
Otherwise the Asus G551 is also a very good choice (with GeForce 860M and small SSD of 25Go) but there is a version with really good IPS screen.