Solved! MSI GF65 Thin with rtx 2060 and i5 9800k, something got fried! (Gpu and soundcard not working)

Jun 10, 2021
Hello everyone!
Yesterday i was changing the thermal paste for my GPU and CPU on the laptop. When it was done i connected the display cable back in the display port, but as soon as i connected the battery back in place i saw a small red flash from the display port and a noise like something got fried. When i turned the laptop back on my GPU couldn't be detected and my speakers didn't work at all. Everything else seemed working until i tried to factory reset the laptop but that didn't work either. After some tries i managed to factory reset the laptop but now the same problem occurred (My nvidia GPU and soundcard isn't detected) I've tried everything to fix it with all the info from websites and forums but no luck so far. The weird thing is that my intel gpu is still working. Im pretty sure it isn't the display cable that's broken because then i would get a black screen when turning on the laptop and it's most likely not the nvidia gpu that is now broken. To be honest im freaking out and don't know what to do. The laptop is just 6 months old.

Does anyone have an idea on what could be fried, maybe something connected from the laptop to the GPU and soundcard? What can i do to fix this?

Last edited:
Solution
Please understand that I am just trying to inform others that bad things can happen when you poke around inside a laptop. I'm not trying to scold you. I like to work on my car and it has likely cost me money over the years as I get myself in trouble and need to go to a professional. Same thing here. You've done what you can and need a pro to help now. There is nothing you can do with just a voltmeter. Heck, I have a masters in digital engineering and I likely couldn't fix your laptop at the component level without access to test gear and schematics. You could buy a new GPU chip and maybe get lucky. Good luck!!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Why were you changing the thermal paste on a 6 month old system? Sounds like you have voided any warranty you may have had.

Sorry for your loss. Does Windows see the "missing" devices at all, even if unknown devices?

Also, are there any indications of the devices in the BIOS?

Reactions: ModyDody
Jun 10, 2021
The thing is i installed two 16gb RAM sticks right after i bought the laptop, so my warranty got thrown out the window right there and then. I was changing the thermal paste because the GPU started heating up to 80c with the fans on max speed and before it would only max out at 73c. But obviously i sholdn't have done that. I can see the Nvidia GPU when i use CMD to access the devicemanager (under hidden devices) I tried to delete it in there and restart the laptop just like an article told me but no luck at all. I was wondering if it was the CMOS battery that died but i think it's unlikely it can cause that many problems. And i've tried to find the GPU in the BIOS menu but i don't think i did it correctly because it didn't show my integrated intel GPU either.

Reactions: Jennifer1736
Jun 10, 2021
I've added RAM without voiding the warranty (sent my HP machine in and they repaired it). Unfortunately, I see a lot of posts similar to this. If you are messing around inside a laptop without taking proper precautions, anything could have gotten zapped. I suggest you use the maintenance manual for your laptop if you can get one. Many you tube videos demonstrate bad practices that none of the manufacturers would use--especially with regard to ESD.

The Intel GPU is part of the Intel chipset whereas the RTX is a different chip. So if the RTX is not available, the system will fall back to the Intel (slow) GPU.

You might try running diagnostic software if it is available from MSI (look on their web site or call them and ask). Motherboard repairs are tricky without the proper test gear and schematics. Since you heard a spark, I would look very carefully for any burned components or improper connections. However hearing a spark is also very bad news.

I really cringe when I see all the you tube videos implying it is easy to just take your laptop apart and do stuff. In fact it is but I also see a lot of posts like yours. Fixing the problems is not easy. Using the repair manual at least minimizes the chances of causing damage. Sorry for your problem! Wish I could be more positive.

Jun 10, 2021
I've added RAM without voiding the warranty (sent my HP machine in and they repaired it). Unfortunately, I see a lot of posts similar to this. If you are messing around inside a laptop without taking proper precautions, anything could have gotten zapped. I suggest you use the maintenance manual for your laptop if you can get one. Many you tube videos demonstrate bad practices that none of the manufacturers would use--especially with regard to ESD.

The Intel GPU is part of the Intel chipset whereas the RTX is a different chip. So if the RTX is not available, the system will fall back to the Intel (slow) GPU.

You might try running diagnostic software if it is available from MSI (look on their web site or call them and ask). Motherboard repairs are tricky without the proper test gear and schematics. Since you heard a spark, I would look very carefully for any burned components or improper connections. However hearing a spark is also very bad news.

I really cringe when I see all the you tube videos implying it is easy to just take your laptop apart and do stuff. In fact it is but I also see a lot of posts like yours. Fixing the problems is not easy. Using the repair manual at least minimizes the chances of causing damage. Sorry for your problem! Wish I could be more positive.
Yeah you're right man, it seems easy but i needed to be extra careful which i obviously wasn't. It was painful that the RTX card was the one that stopped working and not only the soundcard and speakers. Either way everyone makes mistakes and im here to learn from it, even tho it was a pretty pricey mistake :/ Im gonna try to find what's been zapped or burnt. Can't i use a volt tester machine or whatever it's called? Then test every component for any life on the MOBO.

Please understand that I am just trying to inform others that bad things can happen when you poke around inside a laptop. I'm not trying to scold you. I like to work on my car and it has likely cost me money over the years as I get myself in trouble and need to go to a professional. Same thing here. You've done what you can and need a pro to help now. There is nothing you can do with just a voltmeter. Heck, I have a masters in digital engineering and I likely couldn't fix your laptop at the component level without access to test gear and schematics. You could buy a new GPU chip and maybe get lucky. Good luck!!

Solution