MSI GS43VR 7RE SSD upgrade help

themorn2112

Estimable
Oct 30, 2015
I have a MSI GS43VR 7RE with 128 GB M.2 SATA III SSD drive and 1 TB HDD. The boot sector is in the SSD. I will be upgrading the SSD drive to M.2 512 (500) GB. I only have a single SSD slot in the laptop. How do I transfer the data in SSD (boot sector and all) to my upgrade replacement. I plan to upgrade to NVMe SSD. I have researched several website (including YouTube), but haven't found a clear cut instructions/procedure for the upgrade process.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from themorn2112 : "SSD upgrade help"

c.groshong

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
I was looking into this same issue today, i have a gs43vr 6re. And the only thing that I've been worried about is that it seems all the people doing this are using samsung drives for both drives.
I found the best answer here. but it still requires both drives to be samsung.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3273756/clone-nvme-256gb-nvme-512gb.html#xtor=EPR-8809
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZovdDCbOGcA

I was hoping to partition my 1TB HDD(non samsung) and clone the 128GB nvme to this new partition.
Then I wanted to reboot using the partition after swapping out the smaller nvme and replacing it with a 512GB nvme.
Then clone back to the new nvme and should fire up,

Now Im inclined to use a Samsung 500gb SSD I bought a while back and never used as an external drive to clone the nvme to.
Then boot from it after installing the new nvme.
Then clone again.
Remove the external and boot using the new nvme.

Id appreciate any thoughts or advice on these competing paths.
Thanks

themorn2112

Estimable
Oct 30, 2015
Sorry for the Loooong delay,
The Solution that worked for me was to consult my laptop maker (MSI). Their customer support supplied me with the Samsung cloning software specifically geared for their product line. I initially saved my data to my 1TB internal HDD (I stored most of my date there in anticipation of my SSD upgrade in additional to doing that out of habit as well). The transition was "almost" smooth with the exception of a new partition created that I seem to have difficulty removing. I basically left that partition alone considering that the space taken was not very large relative to the size gained.