MSI GT70 Dominator 895 SSD install help

Pakesaker

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
I'm looking to install a SSD into a MSI GT70 Dominator 895. It came with a standard 1TB 7200rpm drive that needs to be replaced. I don't need to worry about saving any of the data on it and I am looking to do a fresh install of Windows 10. It originally came with Windows 8.1 but was upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period.

Since I don't need to worry about cloning the old drive I assume it is as simple as:

1. Create Windows 10 installation on USB drive
2. Remove the HDD
3. Install the SSD
4. Enable AHCI in the BIOS
5. Set boot order to the USB Drive and install Windows on SSD
6. Install original HDD in second bay and format it for storage

My concern is that I can't find the drivers for that laptop. The product page no longer exists. My product is registered with MSI and when I click through it takes me to a similar but different and more recent laptop here: https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GT70-Dominator-GTX-970M.html

If I use these drivers that are marked for Windows 8.1, will they work on a fresh Windows 10 install?

Will using the Windows 10 creation tool carry over the license to the SSD since the motherboard is the same?

Solution
So you think that the Windows install will allow me to hardwire an ethernet cable and have internet?

Yes....especially if the port is on the motherboard.

Also, you have to clean install Windows anyway....so why not just do it and then see what you need. You may not need anything at all.

So after I installed it, I would check internet access etc and anything else you are concerned about.

If something isn't working the way you want....worry about it THEN.

Do you have a graphics card?

If you do....install that driver right after you install Windows.

Pakesaker

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014

Just all the drivers that would normally come preinstalled. Like LAN driver, Audio, Bluetooth, Card Reader, Wireless, Touchpad, RGB, etc.

Pakesaker

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014

That's probably a safe bet. I was just worried that without the correct drivers I might not be able to get internet up and running once I did a fresh OS install.

So you think that the Windows install will allow me to hardwire an ethernet cable and have internet?

Yes....especially if the port is on the motherboard.

Also, you have to clean install Windows anyway....so why not just do it and then see what you need. You may not need anything at all.

So after I installed it, I would check internet access etc and anything else you are concerned about.

If something isn't working the way you want....worry about it THEN.

Do you have a graphics card?

If you do....install that driver right after you install Windows.

Solution

Pakesaker

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014

Fair enough, that's what I'll do. Thank you for taking the time to help.

TRENDING THREADS