MSI GT70: Random Shutoffs

BazookaBert

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Hey Guys,

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to computers but I'm trying to learn. Anyways, I bought an MSI GT70 a few months ago, and since I've had it, it's had these random episodes of just randomly shutting off and booting to the Aptio Setup Utility . I thought it could be overheating, but I'm not gaming when it happens and my temperatures aren't bad (typically hovering around 30-50 Celsius for the CPU).

When it reboots it continually reboots to the Aptio Setup Utility. When I go to the SATA tab on the BIOS, it says that the Serial ATA that my OS hard drive is connected to is empty. Any ideas what this could be?

dodger46

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Intelligent guess would be either the SATA controller on the mobo or the HDD itself at fault. Determine the Drive Manufacturer by checking Device Manager, and go to their website where you will find diagnostic software for thoroughly checking out your drive. Another possibility is your UEFI may be corrupt. The manual for flashing the BIOS for your laptop not easily found, perhaps it's included in a disk that came with your machine. Might be an idea to update your BIOS, instructions here
http://www.msi.com/service/bios-note/#ami
They're not very comprehensive, and I would leave as a last resort if nothing found with your HDD.