MSI GX620 laptop...looking to buy one

Jacob Collstrup

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
Heya,

I'm looking to buy a laptop for when I go study abroad in England and I'd like to have a new portable for then.
1_What is your budget?
Budget is 1800$/1300€/1200£ (That includes taxes and all. Which might be relevant since I live in Denmark and we have 25% VAT-taxes!!

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I don't know about this. But I do value portability over screen size. So it should be smaller than 17" screen.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Some people recommend me a screens size roughly like this: X*900+ (meaning that is should have no less than 900 pixels vertically.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Its kind of both, though portability is much more important than screen size

5_How much battery life do you need?
I don't know about this. Probably more than 2 hours.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I'd like to play games like 'The Witcher', 'Oblivion', 'Call of Duty 4' and 'Call of Duty 5', 'Clive Barkers Jericho' and some other games.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
It'll also be used for writing projects for uni, music and watching video.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
No less than 160GB. I need to have dual boot between Vista and some sort of linux. So the harddisk should be large enough for that.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
Any site that is trustworthy, have good computers at good prices. Preferably a danish one.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
How long do they last?

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
I'd love to have a Geforce 9600MGT w. 512mb DDR3 dedicated video memory. I'd prolly hate it if I'm to burn my fingers on the computer after its been turned on for a while. I know a lot of powerful laptops have problems with cooling. But I really don't want one that can only game for 2 hours and then it needs to coold down for 1 hour after that. So heat and noise are issues. They can probably be disregarded, since I don't really know much about these things.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I really dislike Zepto. I know 8 people who've had Zeptos, and only 1 guy had one that worked. The other 7 overheated constantly, burned out and suffered from long lists of hardware malfunctions.

13_What country do you live in?
Denmark

So I found an MSI GX620:
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=135&cat2_no=271&prod_no=1529
Which looks good to me, an its well inside my budget. I also happen to think MSI is a good brand of laptops, though I don't know much about that.

I also found this one:
http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668231.php
Which seems to have good specs too, however a bit on the large side. But I don't know the brand and I don't know if they're of good quality.

Jacob

D4yw4lk3r

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
This one is way cheaper than your budget stated.I have seen some selling on ebay around $1200 usd which I'd like to buy one. Otherwise you can buy ASUS G70S which around $1800 usd. This one has dual graphic card as far as I have heard from the guy who selling it. :wahoo: