Solved! MSI Stealh or Razer Blade to replace my slowly dying M14x R2

cwburns32

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
I have a M14x R2 that has served me well but is going on 5 years old, has been through a lot, on it's last leg and is far to heavy for my liking. Cost is not a concern here but I do not want to over spend as I don't game a ton on my laptop but like the idea of being able to at higher-ish graphic levels when on the road.

My goal is to stay under 4-5 lbs, keep it rather thin and anywhere from 13-15" screen size. I am currently considering an MSI GS63VR either with a 1060 or a 1070 Max-Q or a Razer Blade Stealth/Pro. I have ruled out Alienware due to their weigth and bulk, have considered Asus but nothing really caught my eye. I like the look, thinness, and weight to the Razer and MSI.

Not too particular on storage space 128/256+1TB or so, I7-77xx, 16GB of RAM, 1060/1070, would even consider 1050, 13-15" screen size, 1080p/QHD, no 4K.

Solution
the newest version of the Inspiron Gaming 7000 series is promising. good components, proper IPS display panels and battery life of what you would expect from a gaming laptop. unfortunately you aren't going to be getting anything like "higher-ish" graphic levels with something that weighs less than 5 pounds. as it won't have a good enough GPU. To have a 10 series card I hope that you understand that there aren't any mobile versions of them. they straight up just put the desktop GPU into the laptop and that requires proper cooling and that makes it bulkier and heavier.

the new inspiron gaming comes in at about 6.28 pounds with the 1060 and about 5.82 pounds with the 1050. But if you are willing to sacrifice performance for portability...

smashjohn

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
To the best of my knowledge, Razer is the only company with a fully functional external USB-C GPU option right now. I always liked the idea of being able to game a little when mobile and then plug into a full kit at home.

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
the newest version of the Inspiron Gaming 7000 series is promising. good components, proper IPS display panels and battery life of what you would expect from a gaming laptop. unfortunately you aren't going to be getting anything like "higher-ish" graphic levels with something that weighs less than 5 pounds. as it won't have a good enough GPU. To have a 10 series card I hope that you understand that there aren't any mobile versions of them. they straight up just put the desktop GPU into the laptop and that requires proper cooling and that makes it bulkier and heavier.

the new inspiron gaming comes in at about 6.28 pounds with the 1060 and about 5.82 pounds with the 1050. But if you are willing to sacrifice performance for portability then you can pay extra money to get laptops like the stealth pro and such.

It's all about compromise and sacrifice when it comes to a gaming laptop. any gaming laptop though with a 10 series card in it will game at 1080p medium to high settings at an average 60fps depending on the game. So you can expect PS4 graphics and performance at the least but you can usually get away with better depending on the game.

Solution

cwburns32

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

Im okay to compromise performance for size and weight (portability). LIke I said I don't game much but nice being able to when I stay in a hotel for a few nights for work. I already have a overkill PC at home so this will just be a lightweight supplement to that.

I looked into the Inspiron Gaming laptops but it didn't jump out at me and the weight put me off a bit. I realize I won't get higher-ish graphics out of a thin lightweight laptop and as mentioned above I am okay to part with this for the more lightweight laptop.

Thanks for your input!