Multiplayer Gaming Blamed for US Sales Decline

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]$60 a game in the U.S. and even more expensive in Europe+ Australia(poor Aussies get raped), why would i spend another $60 for another 10 hour campaign when i can spend $60 for 100hr+ multiplayer.[/citation]

Well said, first thing that popped in my mind as well. I rent most of this "beat it in 10 hours" stuff on my xbox and purchase games with legs (Fallout3, Mass Effect, DAO) on my PC. GTA series and RDR have tons of gameplay even without the multi and are also worthile purchases imo.

Metro 2033, a nice purchase when on Steam at $25.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
If the stand alone campaign was as challenging and fun as the multi., perhaps more software titles would sell. Easy to blame the consumer when it is the boring, repetitive and linear game play most publishers offer that makes their product less attractive. Also last time I looked the publishers were adamant that it was piracy that was killing their sales. Yup pass the buck and blame the next guy for your own failings.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
games are cool, but NOT a necesity NOT a need.

with that said, games are way overpriced at 60 dollars and most times are not worth half of that.

but also when you read articles like this one where the wolves are
houling for their "poor sales/revenue" and they are also mad because a few "good games" are "over used"... it's like wait a second... what?

Wolf: I want you all to buy my game
Potential customer: Cool
Wolf: but you must play the game a few hours and go buy another game
Potential custmer: Wait, What.. F()(/\ Y()!

chaoski

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Blame it on Quality (not graphics) AND limitations of Gaming industry.

Xbox/Apple like business tactics are LIMITING people and NOW the PC community.

Never in hell would I pay monthly services for ANY game.

Consumers need to take action with their money AND ignorant/marketing/fanbois need to do more research before making a COMMITMENT to these companies.

It's like a marriage.

USE YOUR PC PEOPLE AND YOUR BRAINS

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
if activision puts any kind of charging scheme im boycotting...already free dlc are practically non existant n not much better and a real pain for us non u.s. based people to buy...
im tired of these baseless assumptions, as tough everybody buys the same way n purchase power....just like movies, if someone d/l a movie what makes you think he would pay 10bucks to c it ifhecouldnt d/l...

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Maybe we should play less and code more. It sounds like we need more developers who aren't slaves to the corporatocracy. Nothing wrong with making money, but developers shouldn't turn into carbon copies of the government with all their ways of taxing and screwing people over.

knightofzeal

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Looking back and thinking about all the hours I spent on video games in the past, all I want to know is:

What's the difference between the 120 hours I put into Final Fantasy X or the 80+ hours I put into Dragon Quest 8 and the 75 or so hours I now put into CoD MW2?

Why was there never any complaints about those games taking up too much time and the players never buying new games?

abcdeasdfasdf

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Well could those idiots initiate WWIII on the grounds of us not buying games?

Way to go on scapegoating something else, release quality stuff and pressure retailers to clear out instead of stagnate (I don't want to play BSG Vipers as glorified bumper cars and I hardly see shelling out $60 for Spores in 2010 is a good move)

gpace

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Multiplayer can be fun if done well, but I personally miss the good stories major games used to have. I wish they would focused on both the story and multiplayer (or incorporating the multiplayer and story), instead of the shiny graphics and commercials.

But many people are simpler minded, and look more for the graphics and are easily swayed by commercials. The big budget games are fun, but I'd like a longer more interesting story along with the multiplayer. I can live without the face melting graphics and explosive commercials.

xAlphaMalex

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Im gonna break it down for you on the real.

Video games to alot of people are no different than a relationship.Now a days it a relationship between the developer and the end user.

Take bioware i will buy any bioware game no matter what the theme. Why you might ask is because i know i wont be dissappointed.

Same as a relationship you have bad apples you learn from your mistakes.I have bought many a turd game in my time and owned about 85% plus home electronics ever made to play any type of video game on. Ive went through the whole evolution and quite frankly i dont like what i see lately. We used to get "content" back in the day for free as a thank you for buying a game.Today everything is nickle and dime.
Its the gamers faults though for supporting things like xbox live and pay to play and so fourth.Now the jackals have been let loose and everyone wants to cash in.

This is no different in anything though people will spend money on anything....everyone is being percieved as a junky....and whether its a new ipod(and your old one works)you got to have it.
This only feeds the fire of the corporate greed that now fills the beloved gaming industry which is supposed to be an escape from things,well for me anyway.

With that said you want to know why sales are bad? They treat everyone like a thief,prey on ppls need for bling,bad drm implementation..to say the least,high prices making multiple purchaces low.bait and switch techniques,poor support,lack of demos...do i need to go on? ...and its summer.

One thing i would do is release full games to demo with a time lockout.Lack of good demos or no demo is a deceptive practice.

I personally whith all i have been through download the torrent and see if it is good THEN decide whether i want to support the company for future projects.If its crap no need for me to pay them to put out crap part 2.

My experiences have brought me to this but i dont believe in paying some retard for shotty merchandise.If its worth it ill commit to the relationship

My advise just put out good games no need to worry about spending alot of money on overpriced drms.Its only hurting the publishers pockets and making the intimate feeling of the "relationship" tainted.

One thing i will make clear is that everyone throws around the phrase "piracy".News flash your not going to stop piracy just roll with the punches and besides if its a fps then multiplayer is usually locked out on pc games even cracked ones not all but most.
Also all you console ppl and developers leaving pc platform to develop on consoles (ex.epic games) because thats where the money is chew on this for a second. Its far easier to play pirated games on the console and online than it is on the pc.All you have to do is mod it 1 time and all doors are open all you have to do is be semi carefull. Any knuckedragger with a net connection that can follow pictures and can plug things together can hack a console.

Rant over game on

tharkis842

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Maybe consumers just don't feel like paying their good hard earned money on crap games anymore. I for one am worn out of the 5-8 hour gameplay trend of the vast majority of fps/action rpgs. You want us to spend MORE money on YOUR products, make something worth while. Stop charging $60 for a game barely worth $20.

tigsounds

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
The point that's missing in all this is the economy... all over the world. Look at unemployment, prices for everything. Cry all they want, mamas tits are empty. They need to count how many people just aren't going to spend their money on a game when the rent's past due.

tigsounds

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
The point that's missing in all this is the economy... all over the world. Look at unemployment, prices for everything. Cry all they want, mamas tits are empty. They need to count how many people just aren't going to spend their money on a game when the rent's past due.
Do they think gamers are the only one's that are not, and will not, be affected by economic turn-downs? A lot of kids play these games and dad just lost his job... Guess how many new games little Johnny is getting this month? You gotta love their attitude of 'Oh no, everybody else suffers, but not me.' Someone earlier said gamers are being treated like junkies... well, maybe the junkies are cleaning up.

tigsounds

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
I didn't double-post. I was typing and the screen went black for a second or two and came back clear.. ? I only clicked the submit button once.. anyway, my apologies.

xantek24

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
yay! I'm part of the bigger culprit! check this, I brought company of heroes when it was released, ever since almost every game I have brought was a waste of money. at the end, coh remains as the ONLY game in my hard drive and I play this game with low settings (weak laptop) that's how to make a good game.

To new developers, if you want gamers hooked and coming back for more, focus on high quality gameplay instead of high quality settings.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Multiplayer is to blame for my wasted free time. I hope they start charging to play. Then I'll finally lose all interest and do something more productive.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
So-called "analysts" like this one needs to have their jobs yanked away immediately. He obviously has absolutely no clue about how the market works.

Status
Not open for further replies.