Multiple Batteries Won't Power Laptop For More Than a Few Minutes

Its_Benjii

Estimable
Aug 30, 2014
I have a Dell XPS 12 9q33 laptop that arrived in a state where it will shut off after a minute or two when there is no AC adapter plugged in. The battery was supposedly fine according to diagnostics, but after some research I came to the conclusion that one of the cells was dead and that's what was causing the issue. I just bought a new battery and installed it with the same issue. Any ideas? The laptop is out of warranty and I tried to contact Dell. They said they didn't have the computer's service tag on record and refused to help me. Any ideas would be great.

Its_Benjii

Estimable
Aug 30, 2014

It was bought on eBay from a seller who really didn't want to work with me. Considering I thought I knew what the problem was I just didn't bother sending it back. It's been 6 months so there's no way I can get a refund. I'm basically SOL unless I do it myself or Dell decides to help me.

Unfortunately six months is too long to even expect ebay to help with the situation.

Dell, I think, has already made their position clear. And it is probably all too late to establish some "service tag" just to get Dell's attention. And, if you do get their attention, they will want $ to fix it.

Relegate the Dell to a permanent "AC plug in" position, add the story to "lessons learned", and move on.

Not the best of options but at least the laptop is working.....

Not a total loss.

Its_Benjii

Estimable
Aug 30, 2014

If I can't get a local company that does component level board repair to fix it I'll probably just sell it at a loss. If I'm going to be tethered to a wall I'll use my desktop. No sense in using a laptop when I have a 6700K a few feet from me.