Music Industry Wants Money from TPB Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaby

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
This doesn't make sense.... I want a piece of the sale and profits too with out having any ownership. The music industry leaders have became so corrupt the last 5 years, who do they think they are that they can just demand to acquire anything out of this deal? Ridiculous.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
They understand that if they don't demand anything, they will get nothing. If they demand something, they may get only a small part of what they demand so that's better than nothing. Until the people do something to punish this amoral behavior, regulations and class action suit anybody, they will continue to do it.

theblade

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
[citation][nom]kaby[/nom]This doesn't make sense.... I want a piece of the sale and profits too with out having any ownership. The music industry leaders have became so corrupt the last 5 years, who do they think they are that they can just demand to acquire anything out of this deal? Ridiculous.[/citation]

What is really ridiculous is that these music industry leaders keep getting support from the courts.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I love this. Just becuase one sues a company, it does not mean that somebody's property is somebody's property. Lets say I sue Ford for a faulty seatbelt in a minor accident, does that mean I am entitled to a percentage of all Ford sales too? No!

G

Well, if FORD is gonna run away with the money, yes, you certainly are entitled.

First the owners pay, then they get money, not the other way around.

In most countries the authorities may take the peoples belongings in order to raise the cash (including locking banking accounts).

Well, PB is their...they own money...PB is going to be sold...this money HAS to pay the debt first.

As simple as that.

Friends in a foreign country? whatever, now that's being a real pirate uh?

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Is it just me or does the IFPI and RIAA sound like a bunch of whinny kids because they don't get what they want. Especially when the kid does something wrong and whines about the punishment. You get what you ask for guys, sorry. :)

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]They understand that if they don't demand anything, they will get nothing. If they demand something, they may get only a small part of what they demand so that's better than nothing. Until the people do something to punish this amoral behavior, regulations and class action suit anybody, they will continue to do it.[/citation]
This makes perfect sense. They lose so much money in CD sales that they are looking to run their business off lawsuits and demands. Business fail.

G

The problem with no_username's response is, provided what the article says is true, the founders of PirateBay do NOT OWN the company. "According to Global Gaming, Seychelles-based Reservella actually owns the Pirate Bay." Therefore, the IFPI, at first glance, do not have any entitlement to claim the money from the sale of TB because it would be a sale by Reservella. IFPI sued the founders of PirateBay, with a corresponding judgment entitling them to money from that suit. But they didn't sue Reservella.

Now, what they could still do is hold Reservella responsible for the PB's actions, and try to get the money via a lawsuit that way. But even there, that's a farfetched plan that USUALLY wouldn't have a leg to stand on. But reading the articles pertaining to The Pirate Bay vs IFPI case, the entire process has been illogical, so why shouldn't another IFPI lawsuit?

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Whatever the outcome, the losers in the end are always the legal consumers who have to put up with increasing DRM and more complicated, so called "protection" technology, such as the ICT & PAP stuff on Blurays. Whatever these companies try and do, the end result is always that the pirates watch their movies and listen to their music with no restrictions, and everybody else who owns the original has to watch loads of legal messages before each film, or has to have root kits installed on their PCs when they listen to their music. If the industry focused more on quality by pushing the HD audio & video codecs to consumers & lowered prices to sensible levels then they would make more money and reduce the need for pirated films at the same time. People need to learn that MP3s are poor quality compared to CDs & that HD films of a few Gigabytes off the net are vastly worse than their 50GB Bluray equivalents. If people have no reason to get a proper copy then why would they?

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Neh, the music industry loses money on CD sales because the industry is so overcrowded with utter crap musicians that noone wants to buy 75% of their CD's. I've never even heard of a lot of the groups and what not that you see on store shelves these days. And if I do manage to hear them it's because I stumbled across an MP3 somewhere online and listened to it and found out I liked it.

Unfortunately the music sales of the few truly good artists are never going to hold up the books to cover for the rest of the more or less crap artists failings. And instead of seeing this and doing something about it, they take it out on you and I with drm and lawsuits.

thundercleese

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]They understand that if they don't demand anything, they will get nothing. If they demand something, they may get only a small part of what they demand so that's better than nothing. Until the people do something to punish this amoral behavior, regulations and class action suit anybody, they will continue to do it.[/citation]

Ooooh! Me too! ...Ahem.. I demand a golden toilet! But I am willing to settle for a bronze toilet brush.

G

If IFPI gets the money from TPB sale, does that mean all the stuff I've torrented is paid for? Cool!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]P Ho[/nom]If IFPI gets the money from TPB sale, does that mean all the stuff I've torrented is paid for? Cool![/citation]

$3.6 million may cover me alone, sorry bud...

[citation][nom]david__t[/nom]Whatever the outcome, the losers in the end are always the legal consumers who have to put up with increasing DRM and more complicated, so called "protection" technology, such as the ICT & PAP stuff on Blurays. Whatever these companies try and do, the end result is always that the pirates watch their movies and listen to their music with no restrictions, and everybody else who owns the original has to watch loads of legal messages before each film, or has to have root kits installed on their PCs when they listen to their music. If the industry focused more on quality by pushing the HD audio & video codecs to consumers & lowered prices to sensible levels then they would make more money and reduce the need for pirated films at the same time. People need to learn that MP3s are poor quality compared to CDs & that HD films of a few Gigabytes off the net are vastly worse than their 50GB Bluray equivalents. If people have no reason to get a proper copy then why would they?[/citation]

I do not agree with all your statements...
First off... Physical media such as CDs for media are inferior. Quality actually is far from great... I obtain high quality music for the artists I like, generally actually BETTER then the shit on CDs.
And for Bluray... It's a bunch of bullshit. 1080p properly compressed movies are no different.

The human eye is not as good as you seem to believe. Same goes for our ears. Most people can't notice the difference of any mp3 over 192kb/s anyways. The placebo is strong in this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.