My Asus laptop randomly turns off after a few minutes when I unplug the charger! Please help!

ryan_0

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017
I have an Asus computer and I use it frequently. For the past few months I've been using it while it has been charging. Although, for the past week, when I unplug the charger it will randomly shut down a few minutes afterwards. Sometimes when I unplug the charger it will immediately turn off as well. But more frequently, when I unplug the charger, it will take a few minutes before it shuts down on it's own. Is this because I have been using it while I charge my computer? Or is this not a good battery?

Solution
I see. Then it sounds like the battery isn't holding a charge, or not enough of a charge, which is not letting the laptop run through it. If that is the case, you would need to replace the battery.
To be honest, you should not be shutting it down that way. You really should use the built in turn off options. Shutting it down through removing the charger can eventually have unexpected consequences.

However, in addressing the why it takes a while to shut down sometimes. Well, it will be dependent on what you were doing, and what was running, when you tried to shut it down. If there were updates, programs closed incorrectly, programs still running/open, etc., then it would take a bit for the computer to actually turn off.

If it starts to happen more and more often, I would try running some good antivirus and malware programs to make sure you don't have any unwanted guests.

ryan_0

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

I think I should have worded my question better. I am not turning the computer off by removing the charger. I do use the built in shut down button. But the problem is that when I am using the computer while it is charging, it works fine. But when I remove the charger, the computer shuts down unexpectedly. If I were to turn my computer on again with it still being unconnected to the charger, then it will shut down on the loading screen. Then the computer won't turn off until I reconnect it to the charger.