My brand - new gaming laptop drops from an average of 280 FPS to 30 FPS when unplugged ~

ItzMango

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017
I haven't been on this website for a while, and I haven't been studying laptops or PCs for a while as well.

Please bear with me with this question.

So, here's the gist: I recently just bought a Lenovo Y520 - I got it for $999 for sale on Costco, with a config consisting of:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Intel Core i7-7700HQ
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
2 TB HDD
256GB SSD
No Optical Drive
15.6" Anti-glare LED Backlit FHD (1920 x 1080) Display
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm 14, and I bought this laptop with all of my spared money from saving it up - this is my first time buying a gaming laptop, so again, please bear with me.

Anyways, after I unboxed it, I booted it up, installed all of the drivers, plugged it in, and then installed Steam.

I then proceeded to install CS:GO, and thought that this was a worthwhile upgrade from the old iMac 2014 I used to play on.

Then, after the laptop reached 100%, I unplugged it, set it to sleep, then turned it back on about 20 minutes later.

It was basically unplayable for me. I missed every single shot, my Logitech G Pro Mouse took forever to react to my movement.

So basically, I don't know what to do. I've seen people with problems plugging it in, but mine is the opposite. I'm not sure if I should configure something in the BIOS or something similar to that.

Thanks to everyone who answers my question.

Solution
Not sure if this will help but when you open a program that uses the dedicated GPU to perform properly, try right clicking it, look down the menu, hover on "run with graphics processor", then choose the "high performance nvidia processor". If that still doesn't increase your FPS, then you may need to manually set the dedicated graphics card as the main GPU for certain software that require it to work properly such as games, autoCAD, etc.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Yes...when a laptop is unplugged and on battery, they very often downclock and use less resources. To maximise battery life.

Plus, it appears you've had this for about 1 day?
Windows updates, all the preinstalled bloatware, etc, etc....

tmleafs515

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017
My friend got an Omen laptop and the same thing happens. When unplugged it switches from the Nvidia graphics to the intel integrated graphics which will cause framedrop when gaming.

dudio

Admirable
It seems like a decent laptop for the price..should run CSGO without much difficulty.
Check your Window's Power Settings to ensure you're on Performance for both plugged/unplugged,
and also go into the nVidia Control Panel and choose Performance.
If worse comes to worst, just stay plugged in while gaming.

ItzMango

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017
I've tried all of the solutions you've guys have suggested - yet it still runs at like 30 FPS as opposed to the average 250 FPS.

Thanks everyone for suggesting, have a great day.

eb123

Estimable
May 3, 2015
Not sure if this will help but when you open a program that uses the dedicated GPU to perform properly, try right clicking it, look down the menu, hover on "run with graphics processor", then choose the "high performance nvidia processor". If that still doesn't increase your FPS, then you may need to manually set the dedicated graphics card as the main GPU for certain software that require it to work properly such as games, autoCAD, etc.

Solution