Solved! My computer broke and I can't fix it without restoring it to factory settings.

afranklin197

Great
Jan 17, 2019
I ran System Restore 2 times, the first time on the 2nd recovery partition, but because it failed, so I ran it in the OS, I got the BSOD during startup, I turned the Windows RE on through the Windows installation media.

I tried Resetting the PC while keeping files, it says "There's a problem resetting your PC".

I tried System Restore, it said I needed to enable system protection for the drive, I looked up that error online and it said to type in rstrui.exe /offline:active=c:\windows, I tried that, it let me use my restore points, but it failed.

I tried Startup Repair, but it couldn't repair my computer.

I tried commands like chkdsk and sfc /scannow and bootrec, but they didn't fix my computer.

I can't enter the startup settings, it will try the boot process again, well I can if I type in bcdedit /set {default} advancedoptions yes.

I need help fixing my computer, I have the Toshiba Recovery Wizard on my other recovery drive and I have backed up personal files, but how do I fix it without restoring it?

The BSOD error code is "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED", when my computer boots.

Solution
Try starting the system in "Safe Mode" and then from command prompt (as administrator) type following the command lines...

Be sure only to type what is within the quotes, but not the quotes themselves.

1. "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth" then hit enter.

2. "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" again hit enter.

3." Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" then again, hit enter.

Also, try updating your drivers while in "Safe Mode" to be sure a driver is not involved.

If none of this works, you may have to completely restore the system, from scratch. Then hope it is only software and not hardware that is failing.
Try starting the system in "Safe Mode" and then from command prompt (as administrator) type following the command lines...

Be sure only to type what is within the quotes, but not the quotes themselves.

1. "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth" then hit enter.

2. "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" again hit enter.

3." Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" then again, hit enter.

Also, try updating your drivers while in "Safe Mode" to be sure a driver is not involved.

If none of this works, you may have to completely restore the system, from scratch. Then hope it is only software and not hardware that is failing.

Solution

afranklin197

Great
Jan 17, 2019
I tried booting into Safe Mode with the command "bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal", since I can't access the Startup Settings, but I got the BSOD, I will try the DISM command in the Windows Recovery Environment though.

The error code for the BSOD is "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED", and it happens during startup and it started to happen after running System Restore 2 times.

afranklin197

Great
Jan 17, 2019
If you can't use the system restore, you will need to try a clean Windows setup. If you have your files backed up, and you can't start Windows or run a repair that is your only option.

Don't worry, I know how to backup files to a USB drive using the open window on notepad in the Windows Recovery Environment