Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
Hello all. I am currently running with the following
8GB DDR3 Ram
Radeon r7 240 GPU
Intel core i5 4400
asrock mobo
crucial 250gb SSD

I have avast, malwarebytes, and ccleaner installed and am running win 10 as my OS.

Anyways, my computer (other than the really low end gpu) has run extremely smoothly for all my needs. However, recently, it's been abnormally slow. I dont know what I did or why it's this way. Usually avast will pick up on these things as I have it scheduled to perform routine checks, but its not helping this problem at all. Internet surfing, file opening, playing games, etc. are all running horribly. It's so slow, I would rather use my laptop for gaming. (I do not own a tremendously good laptop). I am at a stalemate here and I obviously dont want to pay the $150 at Geek squad for a problem that may not even be resolved. Id appreciate any help. I really want to get back into the PC world but cant with this issue currntly at hand. Thanks in advance to all who choose to aid me here.

Solution
Right, but what is the model of that device? If you're hardwired into it, you shouldn't see such sweeping changes in network speeds.
Download Malwarebytes Free and run its scan. It'll catch a lot of malware which anti-virus software misses (because it doesn't compromise your system, just slows down your web browsing).
https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

On Win 8/10, open task manager (ctrl-alt-del). On Win 7 hit the Windows key and type msconfig. Go to the Startup tab and disable anything on there which doesn't look important. Go to the Services tab and scrutinize anything that doesn't look essential to Windows or the apps you frequently run. Disable them if you think you don't need them running. Software authors love to put auto-update services for their software in these places.

Open your web browser's settings. Delete any extensions you didn't install. Disable/delete search services you don't recognize or don't use, and set it back to your preferred search (Google, Bing, Yahoo usually). Make sure no proxy is set unless you know you use a proxy. If you use Chrome and have logged into your Google account, you may need to clear sync data to get these changes to stick. Otherwise your browser may just reload everything you delete next time it syncs with your Google account.

https://support.texthelp.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=5&id=23&artlang=en

aford10

Distinguished
Slowness is usually caused by a high usage of resources, or a lack of resources. You should open your task manager and look at the performance tab. If the CPU or memory usage is high, we should investigate what is using those resources. Next to look at would be the network tab, and look at your link speed. If these all check out, go to speedtest.net and run a speedtest to get your upload and download speeds.

Papertowelman8

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
Thanks for all your help sp far. I ran Malwarebytes to no avail. Still super slow. So I tried to wipe and reinstall windows on my computer. Everything was goong fine at first. I have a windows 8.1 disk so I installed it. After fiddling with the install for a bit it finally installed. So I was installing a driver for my ethernet cable and my computer just shuts down. Now almost every time I start it up it just shuts down. Blue screen pops up and never restarts. So I manually restart it and its just an endless cycle of this...

Papertowelman8

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

It appeared to boot okay. However, shortly after, it blue screened again. Now when I turn on my computer, it brings me back to the windows 8 install screen as if it is just being installed. However, now I cant choose my SSD as it says the selected disk has a different partition table. I fixed this by bringing up the command prompt and just cleaning my SSD. But the SAME exact this happens. It's quite literally a loop of installing, blue screening, cleaning disk, boot again, Rinse and repeat

aford10

Distinguished
When you say cleaning your SSD, what do you mean? Format?

When you complete the windows install, remove the DVD real quick before it starts to boot up. If there's an issue with the SSD, then it'll skip it and go to the next boot device. However, if your DVD is a higher priority boot device, it will boot off that before the SSD causing the same symptoms.

Papertowelman8

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
Okay so small update. I've done everyhting you guys suggested. I finally got Windows 8 installed but the computer is still ridiculously slow. I cant even play the most modest of games on low setting because it lags too bad. Opening files, even clicking and highlighting on the desktop screen lags. I really am at a loss now.

aford10

Distinguished
So after all that did you do the fresh install, or did you just get back to your previous installed OS?

Check your task manager. Look at the performance tab and see if the CPU or memory is being taxed. Also, check the link speed in the networking tab.

Papertowelman8

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

When I built the computer I installed Win 8.1 with a disc. When win 10 released I upgraded via the microsoft website. So when I reinstalled my OS, I used windows 8.1 because I cleaned my hardrives. Just removed everything from them. So im running windows 8.1 now. I did as you asked and looked at my CPU and Memory settings which appear to be fine. CPU 7% and Memory is at 1.7/8 GB (21%). As far as link speed, I dont see a networking tab or anything that displays link speed. Im probably looking in the wrong place is all but I cant seem to find it.

Papertowelman8

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

Network tab is hopping around a lot. Usually though its in the 20kbps range. Sometimes though itll spike to 9000kbps. Seems a bit odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.