My computer is turning on but the screen is staying black

cvanlue

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hello,
My computer first froze up and the only way to tunr it off was to hold in the power button. So I did that but when I tried to turn it back on its only a black screen. You can tell its on and you can see the mouse and if its sitting a while the screen saver comes on. But this problem just started happening last night and I don't know what to do. Any help?

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
if it starts up as normal then logs in to a black screen with just a mouse cursor then it's a common vista / win 7 fault.

Try a system restore, else do a reinstall. less work than a lengthy registry fix that is likely to fail again

marbski

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
try to clean your memory by a pencil eraser then plug it back to the memory slot hope it works, if not try to try another memory if you have a spare same model and specs.

akhimot

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
try pressing [ctlr+alt+delete] > task manager> in the task manager press new task at the bottom then type "explorer.exe" if the explorer loads then restore the windows to a previous date....

heman

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

I ******* love you bro. I rubbed my ram with an eraser an it works now!

R99pc

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016

On my Sony laptop:
I have encountered this many times and tried all shortcuts and finally found one without having to power off. Just press the Web button and the sign in showed up.

brianburnett75

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

Abhishek_83

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Press shift + ctrl + esc...In processes end explorer.exe....Then click on file -new task and enter explorer.exe ( if there is black screen after booting)

Lynchie

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017

You cant enter task manager or anything else if your have a blank screen..... Its a faulty switch for your laptop screen, ram problem, or overheating problem. Hitting a series of ANY keys will do nothing since you wont be able to see the output

macyherg

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017

macyherg

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
I don't know who 'Akhimot' is , but all I want to say is - I love you ♥♥♥♥. Thank you for saving my laptop and saving me from spending money thank you so much . Your answer is very correct . It worked for me . I love you

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 2
K Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 3
V Laptop Tech Support 1
V Laptop Tech Support 1
V Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1