My computer recognizes hard drive as storage unit, but will not let me access it!

DimynDee

Commendable
Aug 21, 2016
My Seagate Barracuda 720012 500GB hard drive is recognized by my Windows 64-Bit OS (Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU) as a storage unit. I've checked the drives and it says that it "cannot initialize" and there's an "I/O device error". I'm pretty confused because when I pull up the Device Manager, I can see the device...... I just have no way to open it! Yes, my drivers are updated.... I've been at this all day!..... *sigh* Suggestions anyone??

Solution
Hi there DimynDee,

So this should be an internal drive right?(non OS one)

Sometimes, I/O(input/output) error could be caused by faulty connection. So, it may be a good idea to attach the drive with different cables(both SATA and power ones) to another SATA port.

In case the issue persists, then I believe that there is something physically wrong with the drive. Yet, you can try to access it with some data recovery tool.
Is the drive under warranty? Do you have some really important data stored on the drive?

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there DimynDee,

So this should be an internal drive right?(non OS one)

Sometimes, I/O(input/output) error could be caused by faulty connection. So, it may be a good idea to attach the drive with different cables(both SATA and power ones) to another SATA port.

In case the issue persists, then I believe that there is something physically wrong with the drive. Yet, you can try to access it with some data recovery tool.
Is the drive under warranty? Do you have some really important data stored on the drive?

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution