My Dell XPS 15 9560 runs very hot

MonkeyHardware

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
When my laptop is idle and connected to AC, it runs at 60 degrees Celcius. Should I repaste my CPU or should I contact Dell support? When I play a game on this laptop it usually throttles after a while and my fps drops to 20 fps or something.

Solution
I also spent quite some time to minimize my XPS 15 9560 temperature, i did quite a lot of work to figure out what was going on, repaste did not have any obvious impact on the laptop, but under volt the CPU and GPU make huge difference to the laptop, feels like it is a must do act for all XPS 15. in a normal situation like web browsing the overall package temperature is from 36-45 celsius, when i use Photoshop, AI, Aftereffect, the temperature was 4x-6x really depends on what action was running but it cool down very easily. I am now playing FF15 with my XPS 15, it was totally fine, to run, fps usually 60 for video section and 30 for actual game play, i am still trying to see a way to optimize the GPU and see if i can do better fps ( i...
You could try, however before doing so I would check to see what is loading when the laptop starts up. Just because it is 'idle' and not being directly used by you, doesn't mean there is not stuff running and using up resources, and heating it up.

You should also clean it out of dust and debris while in there as well. Just be careful. It is to easy to damage something.

MonkeyHardware

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

Hey, thank you for your response!

I have made sure only my virus protection starts up when I start up windows with CCleaner, so that shouldn't be a problem. I will clean it from dust in the afternoon tho! I will let you know if it helps.

Apr 11, 2018
I also spent quite some time to minimize my XPS 15 9560 temperature, i did quite a lot of work to figure out what was going on, repaste did not have any obvious impact on the laptop, but under volt the CPU and GPU make huge difference to the laptop, feels like it is a must do act for all XPS 15. in a normal situation like web browsing the overall package temperature is from 36-45 celsius, when i use Photoshop, AI, Aftereffect, the temperature was 4x-6x really depends on what action was running but it cool down very easily. I am now playing FF15 with my XPS 15, it was totally fine, to run, fps usually 60 for video section and 30 for actual game play, i am still trying to see a way to optimize the GPU and see if i can do better fps ( i did use afterburner when gaming) and external fun to make my laptop even cooler. the temperature for gaming on my laptop is 6x-8x not too bad. at least i can play 2-3 hours without any issue. (*by the way a laptop stand or cooling pad kinda need for this XPS 15.

Solution