My dilemma between i5 Surface Book and i7 Surface Pro

Alex Winters

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
Greetings;

I have a hard time deciding which Surface i should go with. There are key factors I am looking for both devices and for me they cost the same. So it is going to be either one of them. Ive been searching on this matter for some time and I am finding contradictory information regarding to cpu choice; some say i5 is enough for ps and some say it is not. As a CS6 user, Ive yet to notice that my work is bottlenecked by cpu, it was always ram causing issues. So my personal experience and what Iread on the internet is messing my decision.

I am planning to get the device for:

* blender modeling (render will be done on laptop or main pc),
* drawing (might be intense at some point),
* Note taking in lectures, office use
*Browsing, multimedia.

Now when comparing two devices,

* Surface Book and Pro have identical storage (256) and Ram (8).
* Book has bigger screen dedicated keyboard for office use.
* It also has Maxwell dGPU. I assume it has its own GRAM, so it will not steal my preciois 8gb physical ram.
* Whereas on Surface Pro, i will have i7 processor with hd540 igpu unit, which will use some ram and reducing my available ram for photoshop further more.

If it was for me I would go with surface book at this level, but the fact that it has i5 is a deal breaker. Reviews are showing i7 as victor on gpu benchmarks since it has hd540 gpu but the book will have maxwell dedicated gpu so i am not sure it would be relevant to compare two configurations at this level.

It is quite unlikely I would push budget for 16g i7 surface pro so I am limited with i5book with .Maxwell gpu or i7 surface with igpu.

Any thoughts ?

My best regards

(Sorry for typos im writing on mobile)

Poozle

Estimable
May 9, 2015
The 940m GPU is only 10-15% faster, I cant tell you if that would matter in your case or not. casual browsing and usage you will not notice much, if any of a difference, between the two devices. What it comes down to is do you like the keyboard base or not essentially. Another thing to consider is that the book has better battery life and for me that is a big deal. Perhaps a used i7 off ebay?