My function keys seem to be doing the wrong things now

Jul 8, 2018
Normally I have the function keys f6,f7,f7 to control volume but for some reason now they simply don't work, I never used to need to hold down the fn key and when I do it still doesn't work. The keys themselves are still functional. It just seems as though they do different things now.

For example when I press down f6 which would usually mute the speakers it instead does the equivalent of having pressed tab.

But as I'm writing this I have just noticed all my function keys do different things. Another example is when I press f3 which normally increases the screen's brightness it does the equivalent of ctrl+f

I'm not sure what would have reassigned the functions of my function keys but I want to know how I can fix it please.

Edit: I just tried all the function keys and quite a lot of them had no noticeable affect:

f1 still opens help

f2 ?

f3 ctrl+f

f4 ?

f5 still reloads the page

f6 tab

f7 ?

f8 ?

f9 ?

f10 seems to highlight my tab's options bar

f11 still goes full screen

f12 opens page source code

Solution
Function keys with printed icons in two colours require the use of the Fn key to the left of your spacebar. The colour on that key tells you which Function key will only operate if pressed with the Fn key.