My GPU "disappears."

Stephen_49

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
I don't have a laptop, but this is the first place I've tried to ask questions. I've got a GTX 770 4GB. For the past few days whenever I try to play a game of LoL it's like rolling the dice. Sometimes I get through one game and other times I black screen. When I do black screen it happens repeatedly until I have to hard reset in order to even try to figure out what happened. Today, I thought to try underclocking my GPU as I had similar issues with SC2 in the past and underclocking fixed it. I opened MSi afterburner and GeForce experience to keep an eye on things while I attempted to play. The black screen happened and I immediately exited the game. Looking at MSi and GeForce, I have no GPU anymore. Five minutes ago I was getting temps, voltage usage, etc... and now nothing. I've uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers using GeForce. I've reseated my GPU. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the games it was acting up on. It's still happening. Any pearls of wisdom?

Edit: dxdiag detects my GPU with no problems.

2nd edit: Temps and voltage were normal before the sudden drop to zero and the disappearance of my card to these two programs. Windows, and dxdiag still detect them, but when it needs to run even a little hard it doesn't seem to work. Obviously, it's still actually working as I'm connected to my monitor with an HDMI cable and I'm still get sound and such.

Solution
Hi,

Have you tried doing a clean install of the graphics card driver?
- Go o Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot the laptop once the driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do also set Nvidia as the default GPU.
- Here's how: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/~/how-do-i-customize-optimus-profiles-and-settings%3F
Hi,

Have you tried doing a clean install of the graphics card driver?
- Go o Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot the laptop once the driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do also set Nvidia as the default GPU.
- Here's how: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/~/how-do-i-customize-optimus-profiles-and-settings%3F

Solution

Stephen_49

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

Thank you, I'll try doing all of that now.

Stephen_49

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

Hi again. I tried all of the steps on this list, but when I tried to follow that last guide I noticed I'm missing the 'view' tab on my control panel. I'm not sure why. I'm connected directly to my GPU so shouldn't I be using it automatically as a default?