My Internet speed on my computer is WAY slower than the internet speed recieved by other devices

bionicat

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015
Hello! I'm using an ASUS Usb-n13 which worked fine on my old internet, However recently, AT&T "upgraded" my internet, they said it would be much better for everyone, which is partly true, however for me, it is completely ruined, I'm a gamer and play most of my games online, having 50 ping on my old internet was okay, but with this new internet, I'll ride on about 90 Ping and many times during the day, it'll spike up to 700 for about an hour, I've confirmed this is something wrong with my network adapter. I just don't know what to do to fix it.

Solution
a couple of things here

1. run an ethernet cable. since you said you have verified the problem I am assuming you tested your speed while hardwired. running an ethernet cable would solve your issue.

2. with the new higher speeds you may need an updated modem, you can usually get a free one from your isp. if you tested with an ethernet cable then you will know whether or not the modem is the issue.

3. get a new wifi adapter for your computer. or rma the old asus one. you can always check for new drivers also. maybe your old drivers cannot handle docsis 3.0(or whatever the newest isp protocol is)

fkr

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
a couple of things here

1. run an ethernet cable. since you said you have verified the problem I am assuming you tested your speed while hardwired. running an ethernet cable would solve your issue.

2. with the new higher speeds you may need an updated modem, you can usually get a free one from your isp. if you tested with an ethernet cable then you will know whether or not the modem is the issue.

3. get a new wifi adapter for your computer. or rma the old asus one. you can always check for new drivers also. maybe your old drivers cannot handle docsis 3.0(or whatever the newest isp protocol is)

Solution

bionicat

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

Is there nothing I can do in the device manager? I only bought the adapter in late December and the drivers are up to date. I cannot run an ethernet cable either because the router is in my parents' bedroom.

fkr

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
sorry for the late reply, you need to hook up to something with an ethernet cable to test or use another device to test. even a cell phone will help in testing current speeds