My keyboard has a bulge around the hard drive space.

kaden golda

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014
I got this laptop from my brother, and as far as I know this has been there forever. It had a 2.5 inch 500gb Seagate Momentus thin before and that drive failed when he had it (hence why he gave it to me). I fixed it and got a generic 750gb 2.5-inch drive (only 698gb dammit). I have an Acer Aspire S3 with an i3 2377m and 4gb ram. I look at the picture on amazon and it doesn't have the bulge. I tried to fix it but when I put it back together after bending the aluminum back it doesn't go back together without aggressive screwdriver-ing. The bulge is only on the hard drive area and the laptop does get very hot at times since I game on it and it is an ultrabook.
http://imgur.com/a/TgFjz

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Just smash it with a hammer until flat, it'll be fine! :p

Actually as jsmithepa says there are indeed different thicknesses. An ultrabook is designed to be thin and light, so it was probably made for that "thin" HDD size (7.5mm vs 9mm). If the new drive is standard thickness that would be pushing on the casing.

kaden golda

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014

but the stock one also had the bulge.-. The new one is indeed thicker but only comes at the cost of it being a tight fit. Should I return it? It doesnt seem like a huge deal. The bulge seems to be there anyway and the other downside is that the seperation between the screen and casing doesnt click together near the hard drive.

kaden golda

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014

Is it a big deal then?