My keyboard isn't working on my Asus laptop computer. The touchscreen keyboard works but not the physical keyboard.

andsherri

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
My keyboard isn't working on my Asus laptop computer. The touchscreen keyboard works but not the physical keyboard. It also appears that the background of the desktop is not loading. It is just solid black, but my icons are on top. The laptop does have Windows 10 operating system. But it came with Windows 7. It has an Intel Core i5 processor. I do not know which additional details you would need.

Solution

The background does not matter, it's just an appearance thing, you can change it if everything else is working. If Windows is not activated, it will change to a black background. At least in 7 it did, not sure if it does in 10.
Can you use the keyboard before Windows boots, in the BIOS for example? Do your programs work OK? Taskbar there? Did you try to change the background?

If keyboard does not work even in the BIOS, first thing to try is reseat the laptop connection(s). If that does not work, try a new keyboard.

andsherri

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017

andsherri

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
I haven't tried to use the computer before Windows boots. I will have to check that out. I am curious. The taskbar is there, and the programs seem to work fine. It has been brought to my attention that the problem could be because when I purchased the computer it had Windows 7, and I upgraded to Windows 10. Sometimes, the from 7 to 10 affects the system if it's not done a certain way?

The background does not matter, it's just an appearance thing, you can change it if everything else is working. If Windows is not activated, it will change to a black background. At least in 7 it did, not sure if it does in 10.

Solution