My laptop display and keyboard randomly stops working

Lowgy

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
i have an Alien ware M17x laptop and randomly while using it my keyboard or display will stop working. the display issue usually happens when I'm in game and i tab between windows. they never happen at the same time it's either or.

Is your video driver up to date? If this is happening most noticeably during gaming, have you checked your temperatures using monitoring software?

The keyboard becoming unresponsive could possibly be related to my second question (heat), or it could be a faulty keyboard/keyboard cable or bad connection.

Lowgy

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

the drivers were the first thing i check and yes they're all up to date as for the temperatures i don't have any software to check them, wouldn't my laptop shut off if it was heat related? and not just parts of it?

Generally yes: high system temps would cause a cold shutdown. Sometimes temps aren't accurately recorded/reported though, and the screen produces heat as well that is not reported to the system. Although it's rare, sometimes excessive heat from the display can cause raise minor problems.

For the keyboard and/or the display to intermittently not respond is unusual though. Are you under warranty?

Lowgy

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

no my warranty ended, could it be a driver conflict? because it's not both at the same time it's either or.

G

When you say stop working what do you mean? Does the screen go black, does the backlight turn off, does it freeze, etc... Does the keyboard become unresponsive? Do the lights for caps lock etc go off, or are they frozen on/off? How do you fix the problems? Do they go away on their own?

Lowgy

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

the problem would be where do i get alternate drivers?

Lowgy

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

my screen goes blank as though it was off but i still hear the background noises and various alerts for the inputs such as mouse or key typing, or if it's my keyboard it just stops responding i usually have to restart my laptop to fix the problem.