My laptop Hangs after 15 - 20 mins of use

kapoor1992

Prominent
Sep 7, 2017
I have a HP Compaq 6720s and I have had it for more than 5 years now.

The problem is that the laptop hangs up after 15 - 20 mins of use. I thought it was because of the OS i was using, so I moved to Ubuntu lite. Installing Linux does give me some extra time now before the laptop again Hangs UP on me.

I was thinking of reusing the Laptop screen for something else but thought I should get a second opinion.

kapoor1992

Prominent
Sep 7, 2017

I cleaned it up today....the fan did had a lot of weird crap, but no use....it still is very slow and hangs up. Is it time to disassemble the screen and use it as a wall frame??

zer0c007

Notable
Jun 10, 2017
I would boot into safe mode and do a chkdsk or remove the hard drive and install in a external case and hook up to another pc to do a chkdsk, which while reporting if any windows files are corrupted and offering to schedule a chkdsk and repair on startup it will also report if any bad sectors on the hard drive. In my experience one can try using chkdsk to repair bad sectors but if it continues return you will need to replace the HDD. Other scenario is thermal paste on the cpu needs replacing, removing the heatsink of the cpu reveals caked and hard dried up paste is first signs of needing to replace the paste.

kapoor1992

Prominent
Sep 7, 2017
I did a smart system check in Linux(as I do not have windows)....the report days there are 251 uncorrectable bad sectors. Also it says that the temperature is 10 degrees above the threshold....I will check the thermal paste and update here....seems you are right, it must be an overheating issue