My laptop is not using the battery to boost gaming performance like it is supposed to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delimon

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016
When I used programs or apps that take a lot of power, my laptop is supposed to tap into my battery to boost its performance but a couple of days ago it stopped doing this. It became very apparent to me after playing Diablo III and capping out at around 35 FPS with drops when action starts happening to around the 20's which causes stuttering.

Is there any way to fix this issue?

My build:
Graphics card: GTX 965
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64 bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release_inmarket.170303-1614)
System Manufacturer: Quanta
System Model: NL9
BIOS: QQ141
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HK CPU @ 2.70GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16286MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Solution
Not sure what you mean by tapping into the battery, there are several power options you can set depending on if system is on battery or plugged into wall power. It does not use the battery AND wall power to boost speed, it's not like a turbo in a car. Check your system power management settings, set them to max performance, also check the BIOS for same. Test it with laptop plugged in and see how it runs.

Delimon

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016

What I mean by this is some laptops use the battery during intensive gaming to compensate for a lack of power from the power supply (mine only gives 180W). If was something that I noticed when I first got the laptop and it somewhat irked me that I simply could not just have a big enough power supply to not do this in the first place.

Recently, a few days ago the laptop stopped doing this altogether and now I'm seeing drops in performance most likely due to not having enough power for the system to operate properly while gaming.

Personally I'd rather not buy a new charger because I plan on buying a GTX 1070 so any money invested into this current laptop would not be a good future investment, so I'm wondering if something such as a driver update could have caused an error in the system or if there is an on/off switch that was flicked somewhere that stops the PC from using this.

If the issue came from an update, you can roll back the system to a date before your FPS started to drop.

Solution

Delimon

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016

I'm going to try that tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.